CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 07, 2007

Walking for exercise

I went to the fitness center this afternoon and there was a buff fit young man (well he was young compared to me in his mid 20s to early 30s) and I just couldn't make myself go in. Had it been a female, I KNOW I would have bit the bullet and went on in. I just couldn't do it with him there. So, my dear hubby made me go to the mall and walk the upper level. UGH!

I doubt I've ever mentioned it but I HATE the mall. I hate the crowds. I hate all the stupid staring kids. I hate all the dumb arse teenagers who run around and think nothing of taking up every place there is to sit and rest and refuse to give it up to an older fat lady. And to go to the mall on a Friday evening, well ... I forgot it was Friday or it NEVER would have happened.

I hated EVERY second we were there. I had to sit down three times to make it through, but I did it. No browsing, just look straight ahead and keep walking. Sweat, push through the throbbing in my front upper thighs, my stiff calves, the jarring in my ankles. Push through, focus on getting through this corridor and move on. I did it, as I knew I would. I mean, you start in one place and HAVE to end up back there in order to get back to your car! No choice. I did it and that's my exercise for today.

Tomorrow, I'll be putting Leslie in and walking my 19 minute mile, or as much of it as I can do. It will be the first time I've done it since surgery last year so it will be interesting to see how much I can do standing up instead of sitting down. Then, I will make another stab at going to the fitness center. I will push myself to go every day and one day I won't care who is there and will just do what I need to do. For now, I'm just not that brave!

Jen, I tried the map thing and found it interesting. Had to go read the instructions and had a good time playing with it. Seems walking at the mall I walked about a quarter of a mile and burned 125 calories based upon my weight. I'm thinking I'd be better off wearing my pedometer next time for a more accurate measure. I just forget I have the darn thing. I'll try to get back to putting it in my pocket like I used to for more accurate measure.

3 comments:

Janet said...

You are a very brave person to keep pushing yourself like that. I believe you will come to a day when you will go into that gym. Look at the person there, nod hello and go about your business without a thought.
Remember, you never know who you might inspire. You sure do inspire me. Janet

Caré said...

Hey Sranger! It's been a while!

I HATE going to the fitness center. Even though I know everyone is so focused on themselves (how do I look? do you think she's looking at me? do these shorts show off my butt?) I always feel like I'm the one getting stared at. UGH!

Great idea to do it at the mall, although I hate the mall for pretty much the same reasons you do. I'm surprised you didn't have to knock a bunch of people out of your way with all the shopping that's going on right now. Hey . . .I wonder how many calories plowing over someone burns?

Keep it up, girl!

Unknown said...

"I doubt I've ever mentioned it but I HATE the mall."

I live near a couple nicer malls. That said, this is the time of year when I really HATE the mall. Crowds and extra stuff (so smaller aisles) and crowds and did I mention crowds?

"I mean, you start in one place and HAVE to end up back there in order to get back to your car! No choice."

Yup, that's why the bus is working for me. Once I make that initial commitment I am stuck!

"Push through, focus on getting through this corridor and move on. I did it, as I knew I would."

Yay you! It does get easier - slowly, unfortunately, but it DOES GET EASIER. Your muscles will get used to this. You will get stronger.

I like the map thing for distance, but it does miss all the incidental steps - like walking from my desk to the kitchen for coffee or tea at the office ;)

Keep going!