CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Fitness Evaluation

I went yesterday and met with the fitness person at the bariatric center. We talked for over an hour and then I had to sign a contract saying I would start exercising as of today. I have to do a minimum of 30 minutes of planned physical activity at least 3 days a week. Within four weeks she expects me to be doing a minimum of 30 minutes 5 days a week and I am to maintain that. I also have to track it on this paper she gave me and send it in to her.

So ... I am going to a trial water aerobics class tonight. It will meet on Mondays and Wednesdays 7:30-8:15 PM. I get to go to one class free and the new session starts next week so I'm starting at a good time. They would pro-rate me if I started mid session but I'm getting in at the start. Tim is going to go with me and he can even join the class if he wants but will first have to get medical clearance from his doctor. That may take a bit so I'll start without him. She said if I don't like this class (held in cold water, whatever that means) then there is an earlier class for people with arthritis and other medical conditions held in warm water which I'm assuming is in a hot tub like environment. At least that's what it sounded like to me. She said that there are people in all stages of the surgery process and some who are only doing medically managed dieting who attend so I'm going to go give it a shot.

I also have to walk, do my exercise tapes (Leslie and Richard), and increase physical activity on a daily basis by parking farther away, taking stairs instead of the elevator, etc.

She also wants me to start doing some strength training using handheld weights and fitness bands. I got one in the box with the ball Teresa sent me a couple years ago so will start using it to stretch. Also she said using the ball is a good idea as well.

So ... there you have. Gotta get my butt moving and maybe I'll drop a few pounds before the surgery. It won't be enough to consider cancelling the surgery, but any loss would be good.

1 comments:

Janet said...

Yeah!!!!
Bet you will feel better.
Your on your way now.