CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

What happened at the gym

I had a good time at the gym last night. I didn't do as well as I did last week but I did the best I felt I could. The cold is playing havoc with the ole knees. I lasted only ten mins on the treadmill (vs 15 last week). I did 13 mins (two more than last week) on the NuStep at a pace of 88-100 steps per min and a workload of 2. And I did only five minutes (vs 15 last week) on the recumbent bike. My knees were screaming!

Then we moved to the second part of the class. She started us out with regular aerobic exercise. Step touch, chain, etc. We did about 15 mins of that and I thought I was gonna drop. We moved on to a 15 min workout with weights. We finished up class with a "buns of steel" type workout on mats on the floor. It was then that I realized just how weak my left leg is after having that tumor removed. Hopefully, in time, it will improve.

Lastly, we did stretching on the mat which went fine. I found very little flexibility in my left leg but my right is doggone strong.

All in all, it was a good class. We had four in the group; two men (both are in my water aerobics class), another women (also in my class) and myself. I was comfortable for most of it but got a little embarrassed when doing crunches and such on the mats. There were quite a few of those exercises that I couldn't do and Phyllis (trainer) told me how to modify when she realized I was just lounging. Rats! LOL It will come with time and I'll be able to keep up with the best of them. Exercise is definitely becoming a way of life for me. It's back to the cold water for water aerobics tonight. *sigh* The sports center that the bariatric center uses has two pools. One is heated year round and is a smaller pool. It generally has children in it. The pool we use just isn't heated. I'm told the water will get much colder. I don't know. I may have to take the next six weeks off. I hate to do that but we'll see how it goes. I certainly don't want to get sick just to exercise!

And we have a snowstorm headed in. Did I mention I'm tired of snow already?!

2 comments:

Janet said...

I am tired of winter myself!

Anonymous said...

You are doing so fantastic Karon! I am so happy for you. Keep up the good work. Maybe you could take some time off of the pool thing and add extra time to your indoor routine? It'll all work out. You're right, you don't want to get sick from getting too chilled.

Take care!

Ann