CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Journey Continues

Last night I attended the first of at least two support group meetings for those who are considering bariatric surgery at the treatment center I'm using. I went to a general support group. Most of us there were pre-op patients. Only one person was there who has had gastric bypass surgery. No lapband patients were there, but they have their own support group which I will attend the last Monday of the month. It was informative and nice to talk with someone who has been through the surgery. I enjoyed myself and learned a little bit.

The next meeting I go to will be a nutrition support group post surgery (not after my surgery, but that's who mainly attends this group). I hear they share food there and also exchange recipes and ideas. I was told to check it out as there are a lot more who attend that group than the one I went to last night.

I talked to Blue Cross today. It was an interesting conversation and I'll be repeating it tomorrow to make sure I'm told the same thing twice as it wasn't what I expected. I asked about the surgeries being covered and was told that both are. I asked about criteria for approval and they said it would be up to my primary care physician and the medical group. HUH? I was told they had things I had to do like be on a medically supervised diet for 6-12 months among other things. I definitely need to make sure that was correct info.

The next step is to call for a psychological referral and then go for an evaluation. I also have to set up a gall bladder ultrasound. I think that will just about do it for the testing as most of the other testing I just had done at my physical last month. They said they can use those test results so we'll see.

I think the only other thing I will have to complete will be a meeting with the exercise specialist. Once that is done, everything is submitted to the surgeon's office for approval and they send it all off to the insurance company. I've been told to expect to be denied the first time around. Seems that's what happens to the majority of patients trying for bariatric surgery. I will then have to appeal the decision, with the help of my PCP and surgeon and fight for it.

Other than that, nothing much new for me. Work is pretty wicked right now but I'm hanging in there. Hope everyone is having a good week. I'll check in again soon.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I am on vacation and just checked in.
Girl, you do what you have to do to get to where you want to be.
I support you 100% I am very interested in your journey because you help me and I feel like my prayers help you.
Our journeys are all different and interesting. You have courage and you are a very good writer.
Keep on blogging, you have readers.

Jamie said...

How funny that our journeys are so similar yet so different. My primary physcian wants documentation that I have been on a supervised weight loss plan (for me that was NS)which is on its way to me. And the name of the surgeon that I would like to use and then he will submit it to insurance for approval with his recommendation. All this before I even start any of the testing that is required by the surgeons.

I sure hope your approval goes quickly and smoothly. Who needs to deal with all this denial and appeal crap. Facts are facts. I'm like look at my flippin charts already.

Have a good week and heres hoping you have good news soon.

Caré said...

Hey Karon,

I haven't been around in a while and am just getting caught back up on your blog. Like you, I hadn't been up to posting too much on anyone's blog because I've been struggling so much myself. And, dealing with my son's upcoming surgeries and researching his condition has kept me pretty busy.

I hope you get insurnace approval for the surgery quickly. I hate dealing with the insurance companies (and I've had some doozies lately).

I'm glad to see your are evaluating all the options and doing your homework. Yes, surgery is a big step, but it's one I've considered myself. I hope you do share your journey as it will help others (as your blog has done so much in the past). I keep thinking that I'll get to that goal weight on my own, but the longer I struggle the more I wonder if that will be the case.

Take care of yourself! You are truly an inspiration.