It is so cold here in northern Illinois. I swear the last two days I have almost turned into a popsicle! Last night I had to hunt my electric blanket and put it on my bed. I woke up an hour after going to bed with teeth chattering. It really wasn't that cold in our home but I was freezing. The blanket helped but a couple hours later I woke up sweating and unable to cool off. Turned off the blanket and slept on top of the covers the rest of the night. So strange.
Wondered if it could have had anything to do with the tetnus/diptheria booster shot I got at the doctor's yesterday. I talked with my older sister, who works in a hospital and was going through nursing school, and she said it's not a side effect she's heard of. A fever is common, but the freezing is unexplainable. I also had my first GYN appt in ten years. Yeah, it's been too long given the history in my family (mom had cancerous tumor in her uterus and sister has had a partial mastectomy) but what can I say. At least it's behind me now.
We talked about how I seem to not be able to get any lower than 400 pounds and stay there. She asked if would consider bariatric surgery. I told her no way would I even remotely consider gastric bypass. Personally, I know too many who have had that surgery with many problems. They lost weight way too rapidly and looked sickly. Taking handfuls of nutritional supplements for the rest of my life isn't very appealing either. Also, I know many who have had that surgery and have since managed to gain back a good part or all of the weight lost in time.
I would, however, consider the lapband surgery. I went to a seminar on that once. It isn't all that invasive. It is totally reversible. You lose weight at a less rapid rate. You aren't bypassing anything in your digestive track so there isn't the need for the multitude of supplements. It just all around seems like a better fit for me. I so wanted to believe I could do this without surgery but it's beginning to look like maybe not. Ah but to be able to spend four months with the Biggest Loser trainers, dieticians, etc. No way I'd appear before America (and the world) in those weigh-in outfits, though. I think it's ridiculous! How much does a t-shirt weigh, anyways. Put some clothes on for goodness sakes. It's like they try to shame those people when they are already ashamed enough about being so large. I guess I just don't want it bad enough to humiliate myself in that way.
I have to schedule my mammo now. And I will go to a consultation with a bariatric surgeon and see what he says. Actually, it will be the same surgeon who removed the tumor from my leg. I loved that guy! I will listen to what he has to say and consider my options. My doctor also said this may be the way to at least get to meet with a bariatric dietician so I will go. I'm not telling my family nor will I be talking about it any other place but here. I'm not open to the criticism I know I will face from some. I know it's given in a loving manner because people care about me but I have to do what's best for me. Should I have the surgery, I may start a new blog, but if I do, it will be linked from this one so people can find me.
Stay warm, my friends. Here in IL that's next to impossible to do right now!
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Cold and a Doctor Appt
Posted by Karon at 1/24/2008 05:37:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
It is very cold here in Northwest Missouri. Tomorrow the temp is supposed to start going up. I am very tired of winter.
Girl, I agree with you. You have to do what you think is right for you. That is the only way you can be happy.
Thanks Janet, I struggle with wondering if the problem is physical or emotional. If it's physical, surgery would certainly start the weight coming off again. If it's emotional, surgery isn't going to help one little bit. I know they do psych testing and have hoops to jump thru. I'll certainly explore the options and be well-informed at any rate. Then we'll see where it leads me.
I've been contemplating the lap band surgery myself. I've done a lot of research on it and right now the only things holding me back are that our insurance won't pay for it and the closest doctor I can find that specializes in that surgery is in Bloomington IN. Keep us informed on what you decide. I agree that you have to do what is right for you too. Stay warm!! It's cold here in middle Illinois too:)
Hi Karon!
I am happy to hear that you are getting all your important appointments in....reminds me that I did not have my annual visit with the gyn last year, should call and schedule that today.
One of my kids classmates mother went to Tiajuana and had lapband done. She looks FANTASTIC now and after seeing her and finding out what she had done I was really in turmoil for a few days. She did say that she is having a hard time, because like you said, the surgery only fixed the outside, physical part of her problem
....the emotional part is still very much there. So her body looks great but is that all I want, or do I want to fix the issue that makes me do this to my body??? Like I said....turmoil. Big time!
Was I jealous? Probably. She makes it look so easy....know what I mean? I do know that I LOVE my food, especially my sweets. So I think that it would be hard for me because my attachement to food is as much physical as emotional.
I DO know from past experience that if I start exercising regularly, eventually I get to the point where I start eating better because I am working so hard on the exercise part....then the weight comes off. I did it in high school, I did it in China....I can certainly do it again.
I also need to remember that every day and every choice I use to get myself closer to my weight loss is what I need to focus on, so it does not seem so overwhelming. I also have to remember that ACTION gets it done, not just planning or intention. If my intention alone was enough to get me thin I would be a size 0 by now...LOL.
So, that is my ponderings on the whole subject. I agree with everyone else though, you need to do whatever you need to do for yourself and not worry about what anyone else thinks.
Take care and keep posting, there are a lot of us out here who love and support you!
Ann
Lisa,
There are a lot of centers here in the Chicagoland area that do the lapband surgery. I know most of the insurance companies require documented weigh-ins for six months. If you miss a month, you have to start all over. And you need to have been on some kind of diet for that long as well. I will let you all know what I decided.
And Ann, thanks for your feedback as well. I found out my local hospital has a comprehensive program for weight loss as well as the surgeries so I'm going for a consultation and we'll see where it all ends up. I know I have to do something. Trying to do this by myself just isn't working anymore!
Post a Comment