CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 24, 2008

Doctor Appointment Today



Starting weight was 530 lbs three years ago.



Morning of surgery. By my scale I weighed 387.5 lbs.



Just a photo Tim took yesterday. I weighed 355 by the scale at the doctor office today. I've come a LONG way, baby!

I went to my primary doc today. The nurse was amazed at how much weight I've lost. She asked the doctor if I had my surgery already and he said that I had. She said she could really see the weight loss. That was encouraging! The doc told me that I'm doing awesome and that people have the misconception that after gastric bypass surgery they will lose weight quicker but he said that isn't true. He said the reality is that people lose quite a bit the first month and then the weight loss slows for most to about 2-3 lbs per week but it's a steady weight loss. I did feel a little reassured after talking with him. I know that it's best to lose weight slow and steady for many reasons. He also reminded me that I want to be losing fat and not lean muscle and losing slowly is the best way to do that. He said if I continue to lose 2-3 lbs a week I could be at my personal goal of 199 by next Labor Day. Woo hoo! Oh and the doctor scales weighed me today. It wasn't that long ago that they wouldn't weigh me at all!

My Coumadin level was up to 1.7 which is almost in therapeutic range. They want it to be between 2 and 3. The nurse at the clinic increased my dose to 15 mg per day which my doc said is a little high but he agreed with her. He also referred me to cardiology for follow-up at the end of November. How long I stay on this medication is going to depend upon whether or not I have another incident of a-fib so I have to just wait and see.

I have an order for a repeat mammogram because they had nothing to compare the last one to. I have a referral to see the surgeon again, but that appointment isn't for another two months. And a lab order for bloodwork at the end of November to check a bunch of stuff including my thyroid as he said that medication can probably be decreased by then. So that's what happened at the doctor office.

Came home and got some rest. Then up and out to do the laundry. Not much else planned for the night. Going to just chill with Tim and enjoy my night off.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Karon, your new picture brought tears to my eyes. You look absolutely amazing. I am so, so happy for you.

I hope you are adjusting to your work schedule. I don't know if I could do what you do. I would think once I was asleep, that would be it for me for alot longer than 4 hours!!

Take care of yourself!

Nancy said...

I like the new butterfly background! And look at you... you're like a butterfly spreading its wings! You can really see the weight loss since you had the surgery, (and of course since you started your journey so many months ago!) You look amazing!

*HUGS*
Nancy :-)

Janet said...

I love your new background. The butterflies are very appropriate.
Glad you feel better about your weight lose. 2-3 lbs a week is still alot but OK at this stage. Don't be surprised if, when you get closer to your goal, the weight loss slows again. It is OK if it does that. You want your various body parts and functions to keep up with you.
Your pictures are soooooo cooool.

Anonymous said...

I was so happy to see the pics of your progression. Thanks for sharing with us. You look to be holding your head more confident and proudly. Thats great!

I love the butterflys! The new layout is wonderful.

CindyV
Hideycat

Anonymous said...

Hey!

There you are Karon! You look fantastic!!!!!!!!! Changing schedules is always a pain and tiring but in a week or two you'll feel like it's normal again. Thanks for the pics and your page design is really beautiful.

Take care!
Ann

Lisa said...

KARON!!! YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm so proud of you :)

Anonymous said...

Hi again, I was looking and was noticing how your shirts appear to be getting longer. I know they are just looser and so they just seem longer since the body is so much smaller. Its one of those non-scale victories!

CindyV
HideyCat

*Tracy* said...

like the new background! your before and after pics are wonderful! congrats! hugs