CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 03, 2008

I'm Still Searching

I am still searching for a liquid protein that I like. I did try something I got from vitalady.com finally. It was orange flavored. I made orange crystal lite and added half the packet of powder. It was tolerable but oh so sweet. Next time, I'll use the rest of the bag and add it to just water and see how it is.

I got some high protein ice cream recipes from a blog but haven't tried any of them yet. I got an ice cream maker but am still checking out protein powders. I think I'll get me a small bag (7 servings) of the EAS chocolate and see how I like it. I hated the EAS pre-made shake but am willing to give this a shot. Seems what powder tastes good varies from person to person and what we liked before surgery can change. This is a frustrating process to say the least.

I'm feeling pretty well. Almost no pain now. I do get a "stitch" in my left side from time to time I'll be asking the doctor about it on Tuesday when I go for my four week follow-up. And there is still some pulling on the right but it isn't uncomfortable, just annoying. The incisions have all healed except my belly button. That poor belly button now has "love handles" from where they stapled the incision closed. LOL It's the only one that still has scabs and the drain hole is scabbed as well. That one is getting loose on the edges so will likely come off soon. (I hear lap band patients go home with steri-strips.)

I'm walking 1/4 mile at least once a day right now. I know I should be walking more, but for planned exercise that is pretty good for me. I'm working on increasing it to 1/2 mile this next week. I'm also doing more incidental walking so all is good. Hopefully, I'll be able to return to my water aerobics classes in a couple more weeks.

The hospital finally located my clothes. They lost them when I had surgery and until yesterday they were nowhere to be found. They turned up yesterday. The hospital had already sent me $100 to replace them and the gal said I could keep the money. So ... I went online to Woman Within (formerly Lane Bryant) and got some pretty good deals. I ordered a blouse, a sweater, two pair of 4X drawstring pants (planning ahead), and a new pair of bike shorts for the pool as the ones I was wearing are difficult to keep up now. I still have a little money left over so will be getting new socks and probably another bra since my old ones are too baggy for me to wear anymore.

Only other issue is that I've not had a menstrual cycle since August. Should have been here by now and I think that's part of the reason that my weight loss has slowed way down. I've never been regular so I'm not worried. I KNOW there is no way I am pregnant!

I also know it's slow because of not getting enough protein. I've said from the get-go of my weight loss journey that protein is key. It's all going to fall into place, I just have to keep my nose to the grindstone and believe in me.

I'm heading south later this morning. We're going downstate to visit with both of our daughters and the grands. We're all going to go out for dinner together. My sister who was here to help out during surgery is going to join us as well. I'll be taking photos and will post some next week.

Saturday we're going to Newport, IN to an antique auto show. This little bitty town thrives on this event and it's held the first weekend in October for as long as I can remember. To see what all goes on, feel free to do a Google search for Newport Hill Climb. I'll definitely be getting lots of incidental walking there.

We'll be back home on Sunday evening before dark. Tim doesn't want me to drive after dark for some strange reason. I think it's because he doesn't see well himself at night but no biggie. My younger sister (where we'll be staying) has to work Sunday night and will need to rest anyway. And I have to get things ready for Mandi and family as they will be here Monday thru Friday next week. I can't wait!

Have a GREAT weekend, y'all!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Have fun at the Newport Hill Climb. I've not gone to it for a couple of years now, but always enjoyed it when we did go. You will definitely get in a lot of walking :) Sounds like you are doing well in your recovery. I hope you are able to find some sort of protein that is enjoyable soon.

Anonymous said...

Karen, I'm so sorry that you failed to finish with Nutrisystem. It has worked for so many. I am thrilled that you had this surgery to fall back on.

You are in my prayers.

Lisa

Janet said...

I am so glad your feeling so well!
What does it feel like to know that the weight is going to come off. Remember we lose weight slow and then fast and then slow. Not in a smooth decrease.
I wouldn't worry at all about the period. When things get more balanced it will happen.
Since your 46 the time will come when menopause will happen.
I LOVED my menopause.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karon.I just reread your blog for September 28 about protein drinks and have a suggestion. Are you allowed to drink coffee? When I was on Medifast, as well as Atkins and Slim-fast, I didn't like them either when they were prepared according to the directions. It seemed that they were too thick and slimy. So one morning I decided to have a cafe mocha. First I heated the Protein drink in a large soup cup in the microwave, then finished filling the cup with hot coffee. It was just the right consistency and delicious. If you don't drink coffee, it will work just as well with hot water. I tried the chocolate and vanilla this way and loved them. If you are using a powder mix, just put your hot coffee and equal hot water in a blender. With the lid on start the blender, then lift the lid and slowly add the powder while the blender is still running. I makes a very frothy hot chocolate drink that I think you will like. I hope this suggestion helps and I wish you continued success. Maggie

Anonymous said...

HEY FRIENDS OF KARON,
I DONT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IS UP... BUT FOUND OUT YESTERDAY THAT KARON IS IN THE HOSPITAL. SO EVERYONE PLEASE KEEP HER IN YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.
BARB

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Thanks for letting us know, I'll keep her in my prayers. I had wondered why she hadn't posted in a while, but knew she had family visiting this past week. Keep us posted if you find out anything else.

Ann