CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Exercise

So yesterday the hubby went to our rental office and got a key for the fitness center. It is located in the building right next to our apartment. We went and checked it out last night. They have three treadmills, two ellipticals, a bike, and a stair-stepper. They also have free handweights and a weight machine.

Out of curiosity, I stepped onto the elliptical and gave it a whirl. I think it's actually something I might like, given time and determination. I lasted only about two minutes before I felt like I was going to collapse, but it was two minutes at a pretty good stride rate. Or so I thought until the darn machine told me to "stride faster"! WHATEVER!

I tried to get on the bike as that used to be one of my favorite things to do to get exercise. I had an exercise bike of my own until my oversized body (many pounds less than I am right now, actually) managed to bend the sprocket and it couldn't be fixed. I got onto the seat and next was to try to get my feet into the stirrups on the pedals. No go! I think that hubby put the seat too low. It hurt my legs to bend that much. I'll give it another whirl next time. Thankfully, no one else was there to witness my humiliation!

I just have to make myself walk over there and do it. I know that I don't move my body enough. I'm hoping I can commit to this and make it work as well as track the calories in. It would be nice to have someone other than the hubby to go with but oh well. He's better than going alone.

Afterwards, they also have a sauna and a whirlpool/hottub. I tried out a sauna in college with my friend and thought I was gonna die. I couldn't breathe in there. And I'm not all that fond of hottubs. All I can think about is bacteria and germs and how that stuff grows with heat. Fungus among us! UGH I know that the heat is logically probably high enough to kill stuff and they put chemicals in it, but it still grosses me out. Hubby loves the hottub, though. He'll probably go over there with me and spend much of his time in there! LOL

Anyway, I'm on a quest to find out about what I should eat before working out. I know I read somewhere at some time that one should eat something. I think I read eat protein, but can't for the life of me remember. I was going to ask on the fitness boards at Sparkpeople, but everyone there seems so fit and it really made me feel like crap. I miss the old 100+ forum where I would have thought nothing about asking this question, but that's my hang-up to deal with. I've accepted that area is gone (Sparkpeople did an overhaul and now we have to post in teams which limits who answers us) and admit the hang-up is mine and mine alone. Wise words from Coach Dean made me see and acknowledge this. I don't want to hold myself back, but I cannot ask fitness questions in an area where people seem pretty darn fit to me!

So if you have knowledge or an opinion about eating before working out, please do share. I searched the Sparkpeople articles about fitness and found nothing. I did find eating something like half a sandwich made with tuna or turkey after working out is a good idea but nothing about before. Help me out, guys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karon!!!!!

I'm glad you're back, I've missed you! Good for you getting access ot the fitness room, that's great. Ellipticals are supposed to be great low impact cardio. I'm not sure about the what to eat before and after but I'll ask my water fitness class teacher next time I go to class either Sat or Mon. She's a triathalete so I think she should know.

I didn't know the 100+ board was gone, don't post much except in the Muslim Sisters board these days, and then I don't post much there either. Too busy with life and kids. I just finally got Maryam into preschool with her brother so every morning I have 2 1/2 hours ALL to myself....NICE!

So, I'll let you know what my instructor says as soon as I get a chance.

Take care!!!!

Ann

Janet said...

From what I have googled it seems that a person should eat a low fiber carbohydrate like 30 min before a workout and some protein and complex carb after. They also said a person could drink a sport drink before to hydrate the body and to add the needed carbs.
I bet there are all kinds of opinions but that makes the most sense to me.
Glad your computer is working and that you have a gym so close.
Most people I know who are exercise buffs are thrilled to death to
give advice to a fitness challenged person like me and you.
Keep your courage up. Your doing good stuff for yourself.