When I started this whole process, pre-surgery, I weighed 407 pounds. I weighed 387.5 when I went in for surgery two weeks ago Monday. I was currently at 370 this morning. That is an 18.5 pound loss since surgery. That means I'm down 30.5 pounds in the last two months. Woo hoo! I am now at the smallest weight I've been at in over 20 years. The numbers seem so unreal peering back up at me.
Eating is still going well. I'm still on protein only and getting really tired of it. I'm coping, though. I know it's only a matter of time and I'll be able to eat other healthy foods. This is just the beginning. I likened it to learning to ride a bike to Tim yesterday. Right now I have the training wheels on (learning how to eat properly by eating what is most important-protein). Soon I'll drop one training wheel and get used to leaning as I learn to balance another food group (adding veggies at 4 weeks post-op). And before I know it, the other training wheel will be off and I'll be able to eat all food groups, but in the proper amounts and proportions.
Pain is still minimal and I've not touched the pain medication in over a week now. I still have the tightness and pulling in my right abdominal area. When I sit on regular chairs for a long time or walk too much, I get a pain in my back. It's more a discomfort than a pain, but it can be distracting.
I'm drinking 48-64 ounces of water per day now. I seem to be able to get down Crystal Lite and hot tea easier than just water but I mostly drink water. I don't know why it is the way it is! I'm going to go get some Isopure to try which is a protein drink that supposedly tastes like kool-aid to help me ensure I am getting the protein I need. I'm also going to pick up some EAS protein shakes for the same reason. I ordered some protein powders from vitalady.com but have not tried them yet. I think I'm afraid as I've heard such negative comments about most protein powders. One of these days, I'll try them.
The hospital lost the clothes I wore in. They put them in a bag before surgery and they've not been seen since. I've been patient but had a rather expensive (in my opinion) pair of VANS gym shoes in there and I want them back or replaced. I'm going to give them until Tuesday and then call and talk to a patient advocate. Anyone going into the hospital for surgery, give your clothes to family to take to the car so this doesn't happen to you!
So, all in all, things are going quite well. I'm healing. I'm eating. I'm moving when I can. Best of all, I'm losing weight! Woo hoo!
(Edit: I almost forgot ... I go to see the surgeon on Tuesday for my two week post-op appointment. He should remove my staples. I should also meet with the Nutritionist who will look over my food diary and let me know how I'm doing. I'll likely not update until Wednesday.)
Sunday, September 21, 2008
The Woo Hoo Update
Posted by Karon at 9/21/2008 07:00:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I am so happy for you. So glad to hear all is going well and the weight is dropping.
About the lost items--- hospital did that when I had a baby. When I started demanding reimbursed, the items showed up. It was amazing and only took a few months. Push it and they will find them.
I know you will do great at your appt tomorrow. Take care and keep following the doctor's instructions.
CindyV
HideyCat
glad u made it through the surgery fine and are loosing weight! good luck! hugs tracy
Glad you're doing okay! How does walking feel? Are you walking around the block yet? :)
I imagine that when you get your clothes back they will be way to big for you!!:-)
Post a Comment