Just back from the doctor and I know some of you will be anxious to hear the news. First we covered the MRI results. The good news is this is mostly soft tissue which means there's a good chance it is non-cancerous. No way to know for certain until it is removed and they do a pathology test on it. That's also when I may find out what caused it in the first place. Next, it is barely attached to muscle and not attached to bone at all. This is excellent news for the surgeon because once they do a few cuts, it can likely be lifted right out. That's a good thing. The infection appears to be near the surface and is more of a skin infection than an infection in the growth itself.
I complained about the plastic surgeon office and she has now referred me to a general surgeon. She spoke with him while I was still there in her office and I now have an appointment with him on Weds of next week at noon. He will evaluate it and see if he's comfortable taking it off. At this point, I don't care about scarring. No one but myself, Tim, and the occasional doctor sees my legs anyway. I'm excited about this appointment and am praying that within a week or so of this appointment, the surgery will occur. (On a side note, this may very well be the surgeon I saw in the hospital. He didn't want to touch it at the time because I had state medicaid insurance so it will be interesting to see his response now.) The general surgeon could refuse to do the surgery so I'm not going to cancel the appointment with the platic surgeon until I speak with him. I'm just praying that the end of this tunnel is within my walk.
Friday, September 22, 2006
Doctor Appointment Follow-Up
Posted by Karon at 9/22/2006 01:24:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I think it's a good decision not to cancel the appointment until you see what this surgeon wants to do. You're one smart cookie! At least you got some good news about the infection. It's amazing how doctors change their minds based on the money they'll get out of it. So much for wanting to be a doctor to help people since I find that's rarely the case. Keep us posted!
I'll be praying that you'll be able to get this taken care of as soon as possible... I know that it has really been weighing heavily on your mind. I'll also be praying that the procedure all goes smoothly. Keep us posted!
Nan :-)
Post a Comment