Well let's see ... Work last night was interesting. I ended up putting a girl in her place and had the other girls rolling on the floor in laughter in the process, literally. It went something like this.
It was time for the girls to be preparing for bed, taking showers, taking bedtime meds, etc. A relaxed time, however one somewhat interrupted as the girls who did the grocery shopping had just returned. Groceries were lugged in and taken down to the kitchen but no one wanted to help put them away. One of the other staff, I'll call her C, and I were talking about how things were done in our own homes where if we did the shopping, we expected the kids to help lug it in and put it away. After all, they wanted to help eat it all the time so they could help getting it into the house and put away.
There were three girls sitting in the living area, where we were talking. One girl was in the office taking her meds, I'll call her L. She turned around and started jumping into the conversation that C and I were having. C was getting irritated with L so I told L that we were having an adult conversation that did not concern her and could she please "see her way out of it". OMG ... the girls all busted up laughing because that's not generally how I am.
L started to wag her finger at me, mind you she's a good six to eight feet from me, telling me "Don't you mess with me, Miss Karon". I promptly replied, "Girl, first don't wag your finger at me. I'm not afraid of you and I'm certainly not afraid of you wagging finger. Furthermore, it is you who does not want to mess with me, missy!" Again, the girls were busting up. L was so flabbergasted she couldn't even go on looking at me. She turned away and the interaction ended.
The other girls were saying things like "Dang, Karon, I didn't know you could do that" and "You sure got her" and "Wow, you did good, Karon". It was pretty funny and it felt like the thing to do. L went on to bed and was alseep shortly after.
So ... just a glimpse into a small part of my night last night. Hope it made you chuckle a little.
Friday, September 22, 2006
A Work Story
Posted by Karon at 9/22/2006 09:39:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Go Karon! I think sometimes kids need to know that you have that in you. It might make one of them thing twice before interrupting next time. Let us know how it went with your doctor this morning. I'm following up much better now, and I'm sorry for the absence.
Kids feel safer when they know their boundaries. You did good!
Post a Comment