CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Going against my own advice

From the beginning of my journey, I've met new friends. Many would ask, "Should I start today or wait until Sunday?" My reply was always why put it off? Start today. I'm a firm believer in not putting things off. There's no time like the present and why give yourself the chance to not do what you want to do and know you should do but waiting?

That said, I'm putting my weight loss on hold except to maintain. Since May when I got a job, went to training for two weeks, moved, and started to work, I've bounced up and down the same ten pounds from 390-400. I'll admit I've not tried to stop the bounce and move the scale lower but only a couple times. All in all, I feel good about where I'm at right now though. It is a sign that come the end of my journey and arrival at my goal weight, I'll be able to maintain the loss. That's a huge positive in my book!

I'm kind of caught up right now in this whole surgery thing. When the thing came up on my leg, I didn't give it a lot of thought. I trusted a doctor who didn't know what he was talking about. It is indeed filled with fluid, but it's not lymph edema. The doctors haven't really said what it is, except that it's not cancerous and it's filled with fluid. I guess I'll have to wait and see what they say once they cut it off.

I know the weight loss the surgery is going to provide is going to catapult my motivation. It's already starting to get me excited about losing again. I know I'm going to do this. I've said it from the beginning and I say it now. I've come too far to give up now. Shoot, I'm almost half-way to my goal!

I'll be laid up for a time after the surgery, so what better time to get back with it than then? (See, the old me would have said the better time is now but I just can't bring myself to push myself about it right now.) I'll be homebound for a time, I'm sure. Remember I'm the only one in the house that drives so we won't be going out anywhere. I'm going to stock the pantry and fridge before the surgery so we'll have plenty of fresh and frozen goodies when I get home.

I don't necessarily make bad food choices right now. But I'm not really exercising, I don't count my calories, I don't make sure I'm getting the right foods every day. I'm eating too many carbs. I do watch portion sizes and am getting good at realizing I've eaten enough and pushing the food away. That's been a HUGE accomplishment for me. In the past, I'd eat until I was sick to my stomach and be miserably full for an hour or more. Not true of me anymore and I'm proud of that.

I try to come and post daily here but some days I just can't seem to make the time. I try to read blogs of my friends and am falling short there as well. I know while I'm laid up, I'll have so much time on my hands I'll build new habits. Also, with the change in work shift, I'm hoping to access the internet via wireless access at work. Woo hoo ... it will be so much more satisfying for me than the limited time I have right now.

Thanks to everyone for continuing to come and check on me. It's great to check and see how many still visit my blog daily. Those of you who leave comments keep me going, when I've wanted to quit. And yes, I've honestly wanted to say to hell with it and just quit. Then there's the niggling at the back of my mind that tells me I can do this. I will do this. I am doing this. I will reach my goal. Hang in there and continue watch as I make my journey forward.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karon,
I totally understand everything that you have said! I think of you often and sometimes wish I could just get a cup of coffee and sit down and have a face to face chat with you. You are one exceptional lady! Time and work stress are two of my greatest enemies and they sometimes win out, but I know if I can keep sight of my ultimate goal, I WILL reach it. It sounds like since you have gone to work full time that those are your enemies, too. Just remember that you are not alone in your journey, although we must walk, run or crawl it on our own. I will keep you in my prayers while you go through the surgery and recovery. Take care.
~^..^~

Anonymous said...

I'm finally catching up on journal reading...I'm a teacher and it's back to school time here so I've been exhausted! I'll keep you in my prayers as you go through your surgery. Just hang on to your goals of losing the rest of the weight... it will happen! Like you've said... you've made it this far, you'll definitely make it the rest of the way!
*HUGS*
Nan :-)

Paul said...

It's been awhile since I have been here and I am reading backward to catch up, so I am only intuiting what's going on. But as always I would say trust your intuition - but just make sure it is YOUR intuition. Good luck. I may comment on other posts as backwards I go through your posts!

Shirley said...

I think you're doing really well in making decisions that are best for you and your family. Sometimes the best thing to do is maintain a holding pattern for a while, and just pick a few things that you aren't going to stress over, and let the things fall into place. Eventually everything will pull together, just give it some time! Hope you all are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Hey Karon,

You know, over the summer I went into maintaining mode because I needed a break from NS foods, plus it was test to myself to see if I had learned anything during the 6 months I was on it. I did learn about portion control and whats even better it gave my body a chance to catch up with the weight I'd lost. I didn't gain any weight but I changed shape, my body put me back into proportion. So persoanly I'm a big fan of taking a few months to maintain and give your body a chance to catch up.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Karon,

Can I just say 'yea for insurance'!!! As you have told me more than once, maintaining is a good thing. And as far as the bouncing, we all have to face that we are not going to be at a steady weight, ever. There is always some up and down and as long as we are ok with that and do not use it as an excuse to let ourselves go again ( which I know you won't do) it's healthy.....
Take care and know that you and Tim are in my thoughts as you get over this hurdle in order to face the next leg of the journey!!

Jodi

Caré said...

Take care, hon. It sounds like you are making the best decision for your body.

Anonymous said...

Go Karon, go! I know you can do it, just take things in stride and do your best given the circumstances that pop up. Any idea when your surgery date will be? Hopefully soon so that you can get the other side of it and look forward....

I check in on your blog here at least twice a week, just don't have any extra minutes to actually post, sorry.

Take care!
Ann

Bob said...

Just checking in to say hi. "Hi!"

I know all of this is tough and it is a long journey. For both of us. We can do it though. Both of us are strong enough to beat this weight thing.

Take care of yourself, okay?