Thanks, Paul! I did go back and read that post. Gosh ...
So I just checked the employee manual and I'm pretty much SOL. The policies in there cover hourly employees only and they make sure to state that "hourly employees" and "non-supervisory" staff get paid overtime. Nothing at all about salaried or supervisory staff. This sucks and I'm going to contact HR for a copy of employee policies that cover salaried employees. They HAVE to have one somewhere, right? I am so very angry right now. I can't even file a grievance because you have to cite the policy being broken and I can't because there isn't one.
I'm definitely NOT going to give them even one day's notice I'm leaving. When I have a job to go to, I'm going to go in, turn in my keys, ID, and pager to the person who hired me and say, "Now I understand why this company can't keep good employees. I quit." I will say it with such pleasure. If they ask for an explanation, I'll advise them to read my letter of resignation which I'll have in my hand. What a horrible way they treat the staff. It certainly wasn't like this years ago or I'd never have returned.
Lord, I need one of those jobs to come through for me. At this point I don't value one more than the other. They both have their good points and both beat this place hands down, no question about it. I'll know more after the interview for the aide position on Monday. I'm praying ... oh yes, I am!
Thursday, July 20, 2006
Out of Luck
Posted by Karon at 7/20/2006 10:44:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Karon - who do you supervise? you need to supervise other employees, not the girls. Even salaried employees must be paid overtime if their job description doesn't meet the Exemption rules set by the Fair labor standards act. The FLSA is very specific about these things. Email me and we can discuss. You may be able to go back and be paid for all your overtime and then the not being paid for being at hospital with Tim won't matter as much. Hang in there kiddo!
I agree with Michele (as always :-) ). I can certainly understand why you aren't giving notice - I had a job like that once (not the human service ones with MR clients though - a different one) - I just walked in and said here's my key, here's my resignation letter. My supervisor read my resignation letter which said I was quiting effective immediately and said, "You're not even giving any notice." And I said, "Correct," and walked out just saying good-bye to coworkers near the door. It was VERY satisfying, and I never did it (or had to do it) again. I hope one of the other two job offers comes throgh for you. I also hope (have to ask) that you are not letting the potential employers contact your current employer - you're NOT right???
Michelle... Thanks for the info. I do supervise more than three staff. I also have to be "on the floor" interacting with the girls as if I'm a youth care worker like those I supervise. I make more money each week than the allowed amount ($455 I think it is). My job meets those exemption rules and that's why I'm pretty much stuck. It sucks, but that's the way it is. If knew then what I know now ...
Paul... I imagine it's going to be very satisfying to hand in my resignation. I don't want to screw the Program Manager. She's done all she can to help me but she is my manager. I imagine I'll tell her good-bye and apologize on my way to the Director's office to say "I Quit!". Oh no ... I am not letting the potential employers contact the current one. In fact, I don't know that the one I interview on Monday even knows I'm working right now. (I have a couple versions of resumes out there and can't remember which one I used.) I learned a long time ago, to say no and then explain my reasons, if asked, during an interview. Thanks for the feedback, though!
I've got my fingers crossed that those new jobs come through for you. You are NOT being treated fairly and you are making the right move to get out.
Just try and take it one day at a time. I wish I could be there to see you quit. I've never had the guts to do something like that since I'm in the banking industry. Since all the banks end up merging at some point, you ALWAYS end up working with someone from your past.
Leaving a bad job is a lot like going through a bad divorce. Well, you've seen me walk out with no notice recently. At least you're getting a replacement first. Sometimes there are things more important than money. So hang in there, and do whatever you think is best.
I would like to go on record as stating that I still get a lot of satisfaction when I think about leaving my last job with no notice. When employers treat their workers as disposable, they shouldn't expect any loyalty.
Post a Comment