Whew! I really missed my internet last week. We're finally settling into our apartment. My brother delivered our furniture yesterday. Finally, I'm no longer sleeping on the floor! That got old really fast.
Work is coming along. One girl called me a "fat ass" a couple nights ago. It was hard for me not to smile. She was angry, with no real need, and when I attempted to intervene, she told me to keep my 'fat ass' out of her business. The reason I had to not smile was so she wouldn't be more antagonized and also because once they start to call you names, it means you are starting to matter to them. Woo hoo! I'm finally on my way to being accepted. She did later sort of apologize for being mean to me.
Two nights ago, a girl got mad, stormed out of the house and away she went. We are on a pretty large campus and she just walked and walked for three hours. One staff had to track her at all times because if she left campus, we had to call the police and report her as a runaway. She never left campus, but boy did all of us get a work-out! Eventually, she pulled it together and was fine. The thing is, most of the girls in the home I'm in do not have the IQ to figure out how to leave the campus and get where they want to go so most of the time, they just walk and we have to track them.
Last night was pretty ugly. We had a couple girls get into it at dinner. Thought it was all resolved, but it came back again late in the evening. We took the girls to see "The Da Vinci Code". We tried to tell them it wasn't a movie they'd enjoy, but they were determined to see it. We gave in and away we went. Well, they were rude with laughter, comments, swearing and we almost got kicked out of the movie. That has NEVER happened in all the years I worked with this type of girls before. I was so embarrassed! I even had a woman approach me after the movie, telling me how the girls ruined it for her. I apologized and assured her they were being held accountable.
Back at the house, things got out of control as consequences were issued. One girl in particular got really angry and loud. She was swearing and threatening the staff. She picked up pillows and tossed them at the staff, first. When they deflected them, she then started hitting the really hard in the heads with the pillows. She was targeting the two evening staff who had worked with me. Eventually, she put her hands on one of the staff and another staff pulled her off, allowing the two staff to escape into the staff office. Before they got in and the door closed, the girl managed to get loose and kick the other staff. It was ugly but it de-escalated rather quickly. Not a pretty evening at all!
On the dieting front (or I should say life change front) I weighed in this morning and am officially at 400.5 pounds. The month is pretty much going to be a wash for me and I'm going to end it with a gain for the first time in my journey. I'm okay with it though. The lymph edema has gotten really bad and I know once it starts to go down again, things will be okay. Hopefully, that will start this week now that I don't have to sit or sleep on the floor anymore. I have maintained the weight of 400 pounds for almost a month now, and feel that proves to me that I will be able to maintain when I get to my goal.
I'll be working on getting to everyone's blogs in the next day or two to get caught up and continue on. Thanks for stopping to check on me and follow my journey.
Sunday, May 28, 2006
I'm back online
Posted by Karon at 5/28/2006 08:50:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I'm glad you're back online. My, you do have a stressful job! Good luck with it. Maybe it will calm down after a bit.
Welcome back my friend! Don't fret. I got called a fat ass at the grocery store last night by a kid in one of those shopping carts that look like toy cars. I had paused to wait for them in a previous isle - I didn't say a word - just waited for the parents to make the kids sit down in the cart- they were standing in the cart and reaching across to the shelves so people couldn't get by. The parents yelled at the girls and they sat down, but when I ran into them in another isle the one little girl called me a fat ass. She said something like look dad, it is the fat ass again...I just ignored them and went in search of my sugar free jello. I know if I had behaved that way in public when I was little, my parents would have been much more tough on me...! You are doing great Karon! You maintained through a particularly stressful month and that means a lot!!!
Thank you, my friends! I'm so very happy to be back and posting again.
Glad your back! Very glad that your sleeping in a bed now. That will really help.
One of the reasons I love working on a psych unit is because I learned to not be sensitive about what people call me.
Dealing with people with psych problems can be stressful dangerous sometimes, but when you can help a person learn how to handle their lives a little better it is a wonderful feeling.
It's good to have you back! I'm glad you're finally getting settled into your apartment... and have you own bed again!
I worked with a developmentally disabled woman once who would go off like you described the girl with the pillows doing... only she would throw things like glass paper weights! After she threw one at me and put a hole in the wall, then pulled my hair as I ran to lock myself in the staff bedroom, her mom started to see that just maybe her daughter had an agression problem! LOL I've also take folks out into the community and had them start swearing and carrying on and yep, it was pretty embarassing! LOL It was stressful at times, but also very rewarding. It sounds like you take it all in stride, and keep it in the right perspective, which is all you can do. You're making a difference in their lives and that is a wonderful thing!
You've done great maintaining your current weight for the past month... that's something to be proud of! I'm sure you'll get back on track now and start seeing the scale head downward again!
*HUGS*
Nan :-)
I have to agree with the others that maintaining your weight to within a half-pound this month with all of the changes you had going on is a great accomplishment. CONGRATULATIONS!!
When I was younger I worked with mentally retarded people in both a state institution and a private setting, also part time with "troubled teens". Once I took the "troubled teens" bowling and we DID get kicked out of the bowling alley. Very embarrassing - but they learned a good lesson.
Have a good week and a great month. (Hey May isn't over yet for a few more days!)
Now, see, if someone had called me a fat ass, I would have immediately called them a dumb ass. I'm impressed that you are able to let that kind of stuff bounce off of you. I need to learn how to do that.
Sounds like the job is interesting - never a dull moment - eh? It makes me feel somewhat better about going to my job tomorrow. Yeah, I work with dumb asses, but at least they don't call me a fat ass. I think they are too scared of me to call me that - LOL!
Good to hear from you again!
Care'
Post a Comment