Okay, this may not seem a big deal to some people. Admittedly, I knew it when I accepted this job and the shift I'll be working (2:30-10:30 PM) but now the reality is setting in. I'm not going to be watching evening television for quite some time! It's season finale time and I'm not going to get to see how things end. Egads! I used to plan life around what was on tv. I've gotten better, but I do have my favorite shows and will miss them.
Take this evening for instance. Tonight is 24. There is one more week left of this show and then re-runs or it will disappear until next season. Also tonight is the season finale (two hours) of Grey's Anatomy. ARGH! They run concurrently, so I can't even record both of them. I ended up telling Mandi to DVR Grey's Anatomy. Tim will watch 24 and fill me in on what happens and then next week, Mandi will DVR the season finale for me. Okay, one disaster down.
Tomorrow is American Idol and Wednesday is the results show. Mandi will DVR both for me, but I'm going to know the results before I watch it and wonder why bother at all? Well, I'll bother because I want to hear the songs and see the contestants perform. I want to cheer for Taylor and wish Elliott would go home. I've decided between he and Kat, he should go home!
So you see, televison has been a big part of my life for a while now. Thankfully, it's the end of the season for most programs and it won't matter that all summer I can't watch tv but it's going to be an issue in the fall again. By then, we should be well settled into our apartment. I'm definitely going to have to have DVR capabilities from whatever 'cable' service we choose or I'm going to have a good DVR or VCR so I can track the programs that mean the most to me.
Ah, the realization that I've become hooked on evening television. Gosh, if only that were my biggest problem, huh?
Have a great Monday!
Monday, May 15, 2006
A Realization
Posted by Karon at 5/15/2006 07:49:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Ahh Karon...I love it. Do you realize just what it says about your self-confidence that you are not worried about the new job or your job skills, but about the TV shows you'll be missing. The woman who a short amount of time ago needed help to tie her shoes, and couldn't handle walking around the store shopping, isn't stressing on whether she can handle the physical aspects of her new job...she's concerned with missing 24 and American Idol. I am so proud of you and how far you have come. Have a fantastic first day!
Too funny, Karon! I use to do the same thing. About a year ago DH and I decided we were watching way too much TV (and were too cheap to get a DVR) so we eliminated 80% of the programs we watched. Now I only worry about 24 . . . HE HE!
Care'
rofl...priceless!
I'm glad you'll get to watch Grey's. It was so good. I thought about getting an evening job once and had the same problem. I totally get where you're coming from!
Nan...Thanks honey. It's funny but I honestly haven't given much thought to whether or not I can handle the physical aspects of this job.
Care' ... I know I've always been a bit of a couch potato. Guess new habit are gonna form.
Diane...Thanks! I loved seeing your smiling face this morning.
Jeanne... I suppose I could do that with 24 but there's something to be said for waiting every week to see what's going to happen next.
What can I add? Your other readers left you some good comments and tips. There's always Tivo I guess (same as DVR and cable/satellite recording capabilities I guess but I hear that most people really like Tivo better for some reason). Personally I rarely watch TV. If I really like something I buy or rent the DVD (like Jeanne mentioned) or download the iPod version.
I do think that a few months down the road you will actually see major benefits from not watching TV, I think your weight loss will speed up because your activity level will increase and any temptation to snack in the evening while watching TV is gone.
This of course may present other challenges - which I am not even going to mention ;-) because I don't want the power of suggestion to effect you LOL.
Enjoy your new job.
Post a Comment