CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Calgon Take Me Away

Yesterday was by far the most challenging one I've had at work, but I lived to tell about it. Suffice it to say that four young ladies going intensive (throwing things ... including the television ... throwing things at staff, threatening staff, threatening another girl we had to put behind two locked door to keep safe ... and they managed to break through the first one ... and a call to the local police department because we could not get them to calm down) was not my idea of a good time. I was frustrated and felt so darn inadequate last night. I had six staff working with me and nothing we did worked. The program manager had to come back (arriving after the local police department swarmed us ... I think I counted eight police officers) and she wasn't happy. Well, I wasn't exactly happy either! It was almost enough to make me hand her my keys and say I wasn't coming back.

But today is yet another day. Appropriate consequences were applied, a shopping trip to a major outlet mall was cancelled for this weekend, and the girls are being held accountable. No one went to jail last night but two of my young ladies were in severe danger of that happening. One did have to be taken to the floor by the police and was handcuffed. It was pretty much a nightmare for me. It was traumatizing for the other girls to have to see this all happen. I don't envy the therapist and her job today in sorting all of this out.

"Calgon ... take me away!"

On a positive note, we went downstate to visit the girls on my days off and had a great time. We went to lunch with both girls and the granddaughter on Monday and then we went to the park to play with Ceci for a bit. She is growing like a weed, literally. I can't believe how tall she got in just a month! She is babbling all the time and her favorite phrase right now is "ought oh". Too cute! Here are a couple pictures we took on Monday at the park.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow! Tough night! And I was hoping that the girls would give ya a break soon! Kids! :)

Your grandaughter is so precious! Very cute!! Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

What a tough night. I hope things calm down for you, for a bit anyway. That's got to be stressful to deal with.

Ceci is getting so big. What a sweet smile:)

Paul said...

Wow - I remember the furniture throwing, but we were lucky the TVs were bolted down and high enough so they could not be reached without someone standing on a table or other item to get to it. I don't envy you a bit. I was between 21 to 25 when I worked with those "kids" (aged 17ish to 40ish) and can't imagine doing it at age 40.

Glad you got to see Ceci and company. She does look taller.