CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 05, 2006

What a horrid evening

As you know, I complained about having to work yesterday on my day off. The girls had been so good all day, I just knew when I got there it wouldn't last. I tried my best to be optimistic but it was not to be.

We are so short staffed. The ratio is supposed to be 1 staff for every three girls. We had seven youths and three staff but one had to be gone all evening picking up two girls from home passes. That left two staff (including me) with seven girls so we were already out of ratio.

Two boys from the other end of campus decided to act like fools and one of our girls who is a follower got sucked in. That left one staff outside tracking her happy little butt and me all on my own with six girls. They ran me ragged. I was up and down the stairs at least ten times last night. There are 20 stairs so you can imagine how tired I was by the end of the night. I also had to walk clear across campus to find out what was going on at one point so I could report back to the Program Director of the campus. Let me assure you this was no walk in the park!

I was supposed to get off at 10:00 PM but the overnight staff didn't show up until almost 10:30 so I ended up not getting out of there until 10:45 by the time they were made aware of everything. It was a horrid day, but I lived. Lord knows I got my excercise, though! Whew!

6 comments:

Paul said...

Yes think of all the exercise and calories burnt. This reminds me all too much of the way it used to be when I worked in that field. Our ratio was a lot worse though - as I recall it was 8 to 1 minimum. Obviously if there were only 8 people though in a dorm (which there were in some cases) there was no way to foist more than 8 on one staff person (thankfully). Hang in there.

Janet said...

Bless your heart! What a rough shift.
I can imagine how good the bed felt when you finally got in it.

Valerie said...

Gosh Karon, you have your work cut out for you. The movement is fantastic though. You've come a long way in that department! Hopefully there won't be too many evenings like that one, but it seems that it isn't all that uncommon there.

Karon said...

Thanks everyone! For sure I'm getting my exercise. Unfortunately, the battery in my pedometer died. I have to get to the store this weekend and get a new one. I've been without it for two weeks now and I really miss knowing how many steps I'm doing in a day.

Lisa said...

Hang in there, Karon. At least you can say that the girls are helping you get your exercise in each day:)

Caré said...

UGH! What a day!

Two positives:

1. It's over! HA HA
2. EXERCISE!

I'm so glad there are people in the world like you that are willing to take a job like this on. I do not have the patience to deal with what you are.