CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Challenges

A quick update on the drama from yesterday ... Mandi was up very early this morning. She isn't as upset as she was yesterday. She knows that she's better off without that job. She just worries about the family and how we'll make it the week or so she usually gives us money. I've already advised her and her boyfriend TO that he may have to step up and help out a bit more. He has lived here with us pretty much for free since last fall. He kicks in money for groceries once in a while and gives me half of the cost for HBO service on our satellite dish because he wanted some movie channels. It generally all adds up to less than $100 per month. Now, I don't know about any of you but I don't of anyplace you can stay for $100 a month and have heat, water, food, electricity, cable service, phone service, etc. He agreed he will kick in more when things get really tight. He's a good kid for the most part.

Now on to the fitness front. Regular readers know that I've been doing a Walk Away the Pounds DVD for the last couple weeks. I had written to Leslie Sansone (via email at her website) suggesting she do a much more gentle walk for those who are extra large and cannot keep up with her regular stuff. I got an email back from an associate at the company saying they have one and she would send me a free copy. It came earlier this week and I made the decision to try it out this morning.

Oh my goodness! It started out pretty much like the other one I have, but with just Leslie establishing she'll be my friend and walk with me anytime I want her to. Well, thank you very much! Isn't that sweet? :P It started out just fine. Made it through the warm-up and the first quarter mile was behind me. Whew! Then the tempo increased. Okay ... I expected that. Have to get to the fat buring aerobic workout so that fat calories are burned and not muscle. I get that, I really do! The tempo picked up again. I am sweating and huffing and puffing. My throat is dry and I am starting to think I've been bamboozled! Leslie kindly advises me that this is the most brisk the walk will be. Okay ... I'll just keep moving, but I feel like I'm running. The words are no sooner out of her mouth and the tempo increases yet again. Now I know I'm moving at a pretty good clip and feel like I'm jogging for sure. No freaking way! I had no choice but to sit down, but I kept the feet going. Man that was one rough workout! I made it through but dang ... it sure wasn't the gentle walk I was expecting! That video will be on the bottom and I'll not be doing it again for a long while. Going to focus on the one I'd been doing and master it before I try that again. Whew!

I had a great food today and am very proud of that. I created a challenge for myself and am proud to say I survived that. Mandi had been wanting a particular donut that happens to be my favorite. I didn't want to get them because I wasn't sure I could control myself. Given what happened yesterday, Tim decided we should stop today and get her two. Man oh man! I was fine in the donut shop. When the gal asked how many I wanted, I told her I want to say six ... two for my daughter and four for me, but since I'm on a diet, I guess I better just take two. She praised me for being able to step into the donut shop. We get to the car and Tim starts to joke about how we could each one on the way home and Mandi would be none the wiser. Mean, mean, mean man! I start to come up with ways I can suck the creme filling out of the middle (these donuts are like a bismarck with a vanilla cream filling covered in powdered sugar). It got pretty outrageous, but the donuts made it home, in tact. She doesn't know how lucky she is! I did open the bag at a stoplight and take a big sniff! LOL

I feel pretty good. Did a few push-ups on my fitness ball. I also tried to just balance on it with my arms stretched out to the side. I could balance for all of about one second doing that! It was fun, though.

I hope everyone's having a good week. The weekend is coming soon enough.

6 comments:

Paul said...

WOW I miss one day and come back to find all Hell has broken lose. Sorry to hear about Mandi's predicament. I am sure it will but it won't happen overnight of course (we already know that because since I was late reading yesterday's post it already is overnight). Anyway I am sure it is for the best.

Congrats on not eating the donuts or ordering any extras. That's a big ol' NSV as is all of that walking and exercise ball exercising you've been doing.

That Leslie Salmone sounds like a slave driver - like one of those Biggest Loser coaches!!!

Anyway keep up the great work - it's got to show up on the scale soon.

Nan said...

Oh My! I'm laughing at the image of you sniffing the doughnuts! Great job at resisting something you love. Reading about your journey daily gives me courage that I can do this too. Thank you for just being you.

Karon said...

Paul...You know me. Things are in a constant state of flux, or so it seems. Mandi is doing just fine. She has two people she can use as references on applications and because she's a great server, I know she'll be back to work soon. Well, as soon as she puts in some applications. LOL

Thanks for the congrats. I really wanted one of those donuts and even considered buying an extra one and working it into my calorie count for the day. Then I thought about it and decided it wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

Funny you mentioned the coaches. When I wanted to stop, I heard that darn Jillian shouting at me that I couldn't stop. LOL

Jeanne...Thanks! I just know that eating isn't going to help me solve anything. I need to be okay with me to be able to help my girls. I'm sure there's a JC about 30 minutes from me, but I don't know where. I"d love a copy of that video but I guess I'm doing okay with what I have too.

As far as the boyfriend goes, guess I forgot to mention he does work (at the same place Mandi was working). He gets home from school in time to grab a snack and head off to work, getting home in time to go to bed and get up for school the next day. He works every weekend. Only day off is Monday. We never asked him for money, and when we struggle a couple weeks each month, he's always given me a little bit. Just with things the way they are he's gonna have to step it up a bit!

Nan...I tell you, that donut smelled WONDERFUL. I really wanted it but I knew I couldn't do it. One day I'll have one, and it will be planned and it will be okay. But for now, I choose to continue to pass that place by.

Glad I can help you with courage. You CAN do this too. Thanks for stopping by and being so supportive of me!

Jamie said...

Hi Karon....Glad to hear things are working out somewhat. They always seem to, one way or the other....Not always the way we plan it though!! I'm a 'sniffer' too! LOL....Although I just delivered 2 XL pizzas to Brittani's 3rd grade class for a 'Pizza Party'! That was a little too much smell. I was dying, drooling, you name it!! Windows fully down!! Thank goodness it is around 75 degrees out here. Your doing great! But you know that! :) Take Care

Shirley said...

I had a good laugh over you with the doughnuts! I'm sure that if I'd been holding the bag, it would have had a different outcome!

Karon said...

Jamie...I do feel like I'm doing a pretty good job these days, but it's always nice to have others notice. Thank you! Don't know that all the pizza would have made it to school if it has been me. Pizza is my most favorite food ever! I could eat it morning, noon, and night, and not get tired of it!

Suzi...Girl, those donuts almost didn't make it! It was only because I knew they'd bring Mandi such joy. OMG ... What kind of mom am I to encourage my kid to eat to make her happy! Sheesh!