Yet another uneventful day in Illinois (or at least at my house). Woke up at 6:30 this morning as the dog shook herself and stretched. Fancy Pants used to sleep under our bed every night but for months now she's refused to walk across the linoleum kitchen to get to the bedroom. In the wee hours of the morning I woke to thunder, lightning, and rain pounding on the skylight in our bedroom. It was a pretty nasty storm. I guess it scared the dickens out of Fancy, because when I woke up, she was right there in the room with us. Poor baby!
The real problem came in getting her back out of the bedroom. She stood in the doorway, peering into the kitchen, whining. Every time I'd go and try to pick her up to carry her back out, she'd run from me. Mandi tried to get her when she got up and Fancy ran from her, too. I threatened to go into the room and drop kick her out! It really was getting frustrating. Anyway, I finally went in to use the bathroom (the one in our bedroom is the one I generally use; can't get into the one by Mandi's room) and she let me pick her up and carry her back out, finally.
I did my walk with Leslie (and for the record, I'm talking about Leslie Sansone on my 'Walk Away the Pounds' one mile walk DVD --someone thought I was talking a life person named Leslie who comes to walk with me everyday) and again today logged 16 minutes of aerobic steps. I am amazed at that. The video is only 19 minutes long so it shouldn't be long until I log aerobic steps for most of those minutes. I have to remember she does do a warm up and cool down so it may never be 19 minutes of aerobic steps, though!
Stayed off of the fitness ball today. Just didn't get around to playing with it. I think I'll enjoy using it when I work it into my daily routine but for now, I'm really enjoying my walking time. I never dreamed I'd enjoy that darn DVD so much! It goes by quickly and I'm so motivated by my progress doing it.
Been stormy here in Illinois most of the day. We were under tornado watches and warnings for a while. Been having periodic thunderstorms lately. It rains really hard, with all the wonders of lightning and thunder, and then it just quits.
Tim and I decided to lay down for a nap this afternoon and as I was about to drift off to sleep I heard Fancy's nails clicking on the linoleum in the kitchen. She'd walk a little ways into the kitchen, stop, and run back. This went on for two or three minutes. Eventually, she started into the kitchen, got about half-way, and then I heard scrambling and she rushed into our bedroom. I just don't understand why she's so afraid of the kitchen. It happened a couple months ago and we never did figure out the reason. This meant I had to carry her back out later. That dog is too darn strange sometimes!
That's about it for today. Had french toast again this morning but put a little vanilla in the egg mixture today. It was really good. I made Tim's with the Weight Watchers bread today (mine too but until today I'd used English muffins for his). He said it was the best french toast he's eaten. Gosh, it was nice to know he enjoyed something so simple, so much!
Thursday, February 16, 2006
Storms and Such
Posted by Karon at 2/16/2006 07:39:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Good for you for even trying that ball the other day - I guess it's like my mom used to say about horses if you fall off you have to get right back on - so even though you didn't today I know you will.
I do wonder why Fancy Pants won't walk on the linoleum - very curious. I can usually figure out Harley's weird behaviors but I am at a lose to figure this one of Fancy Pant's out.
We had Thundersnow over here in Iowa this morning...thunder, lightning, and heavy snow. The roads are a mess here, schools were canceled, and there's already a two-hour delay for the morning. Of course, two days ago we had record highs. What a strange winter.
Paul...I definitely will get back on the ball. Falling off didn't hurt and I wasn't bothered by it. I just haven't made the time to mess around with it more. I know it's going to be fun when I figure it out.
As far as Fancy is concerned, I can't figure it out at all. She used to spend a lot of time in our kitchen (not in this house but in another) and it was linoleum. I just hate to think she's afraid of something!
Mandy...Thanks, I'm kind of digging this new look, myself.
Fancy Pants will be five years old next month. Her nails are a little long. I need to get her to the groomer (see Michelle, there's a reason I need to move to AZ heh heh) to have them clipped. She doesn't hold still for me so I won't even attempt it. But this problem started way before her nails got longer.
Thanks for the praises. It's comments like yours that keep me going on the days I want to just say 'to hell with it all' and believe me, I do have those days!
Nan...The weather this winter has been so strange. I can hear the winds howling outside right now. It was 60 earlier today and tonight they say we're going down to about 28. I just wish Mother Nature would make up her mind. I'm tired of the up and down and ready for either a long spell of cold or warm weather to stay!
Poor Fancy Pants, I hate to see the poor baby scared....Clipping the nails could make a difference, especially if you're hearing them click on the floor, because she's not walking on the pads of her feet that way. I hope you get it figured out.
we have tile floors at the shop and some dogs act like they are being killed as they walk across it. Maybe try a small throw rug or runner and see if that gives her more confidence. Congrats on the walking with Leslie! Great Job!!!!
Valerie...I do think clipping her nails may help some. I know they're too long but they don't seem to bother her. I had hoped walking on the pavement outside would help keep them 'filed' down but evidentally not.
Michelle...It's just something that started recently so I don't know what's going on. Tim and I joke about a 'ghost' in the house, but who knows. We do have some strange things go on and that's why we joke about it. I do have rugs spaced because of my desk chair in the kitchen, trying to save the linoleum. It's made no difference at all. Poor baby!
Post a Comment