CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Drama

The day started out really well. The kids got up and went off to school. I popped in my Walk Away the Pounds DVD and walked for 19 minutes with Leslie. I took a shower and was in a great mood. I checked to be certain Tim's SSI money was direct deposited, wrote checks to pay bills, and filed receipts.

Tim and I headed out to the post office and then to the bank. We went out to lunch at a local pizza place because Tim said he was really craving pizza. I ordered two individual salads (at 90 calories each) and some baked chicken strips so I could make my own chicken salad. I didn't count on the Ranch dressing being so high in calories and hadn't brought my own because I didn't know this was where we were going. Need to plan better next time for that. I avoided the breadsticks (almost 150 calorie each) which I generally eat 2-3 of dipped in nacho cheese sauce. Tim was so sweet! To keep me from sticking my finger in the cheese (he knows me so well) he poured some dried hot peppers into it.

We got home about the time the kids came in from school. They changed and off to work they went. Ceci arrived about an hour later. She's now learned to open the drawers in the kitchen and had a great time unloading them over and over again. She certainly is a persistent little bugger! We had planned to take her out to dinner with us at the restaurant where the kids work. Jared Yates (a local who was the first eliminated male on American Idol last season) was performing there and my aunt always goes on his nights. She'd been wanting to see Ceci so I thought this would work.

Now comes the drama. About an hour before we were to leave for dinner I get a call from Mandi. She's in tears. She's hysterical and it takes me a while to calm her down. Evidentally, there has allegedly been money missing out of the cash register drawer at the end of the day to the tune of $700 over the last month. (Remember, this is the restaurant my cousin owns and Mandi has had problems with my cousin's wife in the past.) Anyway, the wife all but accused Mandi of stealing the money. This is likely the farthest thing from the truth. As a matter of fact, I KNOW Mandi would never take their money. Anyway ... Mandi is now upset and wants to quit. I told her she'd manage if she does (she worries about paying us for her car insurance, her gas money, and helping us when we fall short). I assured her we'd be okay but encouraged her to talk with my cousin and find out if she is actually being accused of stealing the money. She said she'd call me back and let me know what he said.

About 30 minutes later, the phone rings but it isn't Mandi calling. It's a co-worker asking me can I come get Mandi. I said of course. She said "I mean come get her right now!" Ah ... the drama. I grab Ceci and load her into the car. We head down there and when I pull up I see a police car. My stomach sinks. Mandi is sitting on a bench outside, crying hysterically (no coat). I go inside but my couin and the wife are nowhere to be seen. Evidentally, they were outside with the police officer.

Mandi tells me that her boyfriend called the police because the wife "put her hands on me". Now I'm livid. This woman weighs at least 300 lbs and Mandi weighs less than half that! The policeman walks up and tells me that the witness (who is Mandi's boyfriend) said the wife didn't hit Mandi. She may not have hit her, but she did grab Mandi by the arm. Anyway ... Mandi no longer has a job. (Thank goodness. I've wanted her out of there for a LONG time. Sadly, we don't know what kind of reference they will give and she can't exactly leave them off her applications. She has two years at that damn place!) Ends up, Mandi's boyfriend told the policeman that the wife didn't hit Mandi but did put her hands on Mandi, grabbing her. Ah well ... politics and all. Mandi has been in tears all night. I want to go kick that b**ch's arse! It won't solve anything, but I want to do it anyway.

Mandi cannot go back on their property. If she does they can have her arrested for trespassing. I get the lovely job of going back in for the next three weeks to get her paychecks. I know how my cousin and the wife operate. They think it's cute to tell people the accountant has to hold the final paycheck for two or more weeks and refuse to give it out. I'm saying right here and right now, that had better not freaking happen. I am betting that legally they cannot do this. I'll be checking with the IL Dept of Labor on this in the morning.

This sucks, but I'm glad she won't have to put up with the crappy they treat employees. What makes it the worst is this is family! I ate a decent dinner (actually didn't even eat half of it) so I handled the stress okay. I just wish Mandi wouldn't worry so much.

As I said ... ah, the drama!

12 comments:

Nan said...

Oh Karon ....I'm sorry you and Mandi had to deal with this. On the other hand, it's great that you didn't turn to food to deal with the stress.

Remember, when one door closes another opens. A much better job for Mandi is down the line, and she needed to leave this one to be open to the opportunity.

Ehm Samir said...

Hi Karon!

Sorry to hear that you and Mandi has such a messed up day. Family can sometimes be the worst, there are those who think they can take advantage based on the family ties....whatever!

I'm sure, as Nan said, soon another door will open for Mandi, and it's got to be better than people accusing her of such dishonesty.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you both..........

Ann

Caré said...

I am always shocked at how family members treat each other. I agree with PP - a better job is on the horizon for Mandi.

Care'

Shirley said...

Actually it might be better to leave off the job and come up with an excuse why she wasn't working - she's young and there are plenty of school-related or family-related reasons she can use.

The other thing to remember is, very few people actually check references. Only like 1 in 10. My resume has, at times, been an exercise in creative writing. ;)

Suzi

Lisa said...

It's amazing how some family members can be so mean. We are dealing with a brother in law at the moment who thinks we, and everyone else, owe him the world. Just because.

I hope things work out for Mandi. I'm sure she'll find another job that is much better then the one she had.

And, good for you on not turning to food during the whole stressful thing. I hope today is a much better day for all of you.

Karon said...

Nan...Thanks so much for your kind words. I am so thankful that she doesn't have to go back there to work ever again. She was trying to hold out there until school gets out, knowing she would leave then. I pray that this will eventually feel more positive for her. She's just devestated that someone would think she would actually steal and it makes it harder that it's family.

Anne...Thanks for stopping in. I know you don't have much time now. I guess she really should never have worked there to begin with. Everyone tells me all the time how proud of her I should be (and believe me I am) becaus she is such a great kid and she does a fantastic job as a server. She can kid and joke with the dirty old men and never miss a beat! Such a tender spirit and it kills me that the wife has crushed it. I sure hope she bounces back. She's a strong young lady, so I'm confident all will be okay.

Care'...Thanks honey. I know she's going to find something else. She's young and can do anything she puts her mind to!

Suzi...I have to agree with you about the checking references. It is rarely done unless it's a big corporation. I do know that two of her co-workers, both who have been managers at other places, have told her to use them as references. She's going to do just fine.

Lisa...So far, so good. Mandi seemed okay when she got up this morning. She went off to school seeming fairly happy. Her eyes were sparkling, which is usually a pretty good indication of her mood.

I was teasing her a little last night. She said in the last two days she was going to ask for a Friday and Saturday night off because she needs a break. I laughingly told her "Guess you get that break you wanted!" She laughed and said, "Yeah, but I didn't want one permanently!" She's going to find something else, regain the self-confidence and be just fine.

Anonymous said...

Karon - this is from the Illinois Dept. of Labor website:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2402&ChapAct=820 ILCS 115/&ChapterID=68&ChapterName=EMPLOYMENT&ActName=Illinois+Wage+Payment+and+Collection+Act%2E

(820 ILCS 115/5) (from Ch. 48, par. 39m‑5)
Sec. 5. Every employer shall pay the final compensation of separated employees in full, at the time of separation, if possible, but in no case later than the next regularly scheduled payday for such employee. Where such employee requests in writing that his final compensation be paid by check and mailed to him, the employer shall comply with this request.

heavenlydm said...

Wow...I'm glad that's over. It's always hard to work with family and friends. Hopefully the stress of it all will be gone and Mandy will feel great. I'm sure in time things will all work out.

Karon said...

Michelle... You are a dear dear person! I found that same information online last night. Great minds think alike, huh? I told Mandi she needs to put it in writing and we'll see that it gets delivered. Thanks so much for thinking to look that up!


Diane...Thanks! I'm glad it's finally over, too. She can move on and will be a better person for the experience. I hope she learned a little bit from it.

Jamie said...

Aahh....drama! Boy can I relate. Extended family is over-rated :)! Mandi's lucky she has such great support at home. Glad to know that she is already feeling better.

Kudos to Tim for helping you out with that nacho cheese!!

Karon said...

Jamie...Tim knows me too well. Had he not messed up the cheese, I would have for sure sucked the little cup clean. He's great about making things inedible to keep me out of them!

Mandy...Thanks honey. Let's just say the wife doesn't want to run into me anywhere for a very long time! I'll keep in mind your salad trick. I don't mind vinegar and oil once in a while so that might work for me. Thansk for the idea.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! scott saab tampa Acne treatment for chemical injection botox http://www.used-audi-a8.info/secondwindfitnessminneapolis.html preowned saab Toyota clear floor mats' Chip tuning renault Routing for dsl electronic + security + system Major league baseball salary caps forex chart Hiv 2fbuy ionamin April 2006 longaberger basket bingo