CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 10, 2006

Walking ... with Leslie

I think I've definitely found the workout that can easily replace Richard. I'm enjoying 'walking away the pounds' with Leslie. Maybe it's just because it's new. Maybe it's just because I already have seen an improvement (I'll relate that in a moment). Maybe it's just because it isn't Richard with that annoying voice that you hate but love! Whatever it is, I am finding that I do enjoy this workout.

I had no problem motivating myself to walk with Leslie today. I made it to the half mile mark before I had to pause the video to rest and catch my breath. That felt like such an accomplishment and I'm so glad she has the marker to let us know as we make those quarter mile goals. I did end up sitting down to complete a good part of the last half, but I was still breathing heavy and sweating. That's one thing about this workout that differs from my workouts with Richard. This one must be more intense as I sweat. I didn't really sweat much with Richard, but I did 'feel the burn' in my arms as they got the brunt of the movements. I am almost positive I'll be walking the entire mile by the end of the month with no pauses and no sitting down.

I am wondering about tracking my progress using calories burned though. In a calorie burning tracking program like the one found here caloriesperhour.com do I put it under walking a mile in 19 minutes (which is technically what the workout is supposed to simulate) or does it go under aerobic exercise? If it goes under walking then I would burn 205 calories. If it goes under low impact aerobics I burn 310 calories. And lastly, if it is considered high impact aerobics I burn 434 calories. So you see, for the numbers game, I really would like to know how to classify this particular exercise so I am getting 'credit' for calories burned. Thoughts, suggestions, what would you count it as?

I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I finished this morning. I am starting to not really dread working out if it can be fun like this walk is. I did send Leslie Sansone an email. (Can't remember if I shared this here so if I did already, feel free to skip ahead.) I suggested she do a more gentle walk for those of us who are really big and can't keep up with the one I have which is called 'Getting Started'. I got a nice email back from someone on her staff that said there is one already out there that is a little slower. They are sending it to me for free! Wow! Sometimes it pays to write letters, huh? I'm excited to get it as it will give me one more option for my workouts. Gosh, I may just start to enjoy this moving stuff. Who knew?

10 comments:

Paul said...

Good going. I was going to mention there were some complaints on Amazon about one of the walk away the pounds videos (the one for seniors I think) being too easy and that might be the one for you. But sounds like they have you covered - it will be interesting to see what video they send you. That was pretty nice on their part (just stating the obvious).

Nan said...

Karon,
You are such an inspiration! I have a WATP VHS tape I bought a year ago, used once and packed away somewhere. My project for today is to find it and get the VCR hooked up again to use it. Thanks for the encouragement every day.

Anonymous said...

Wow Karon! There are nice people out there! Congrats on all your walking! Paul is the numbers guy - maybe he can figure out how to count your calories burned!

Karon said...

Paul...Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look around for that one. Could be it's right up my alley! I really have to start off slowly and work my way up and I don't really care if it's for seniors or not. I'm building a library of workouts I can and will use. I thought it was really nice of them and the gal even offered to help me with any questions I might have as I move along.

Nan...I wish you lots of luck in locating your WATP video and using it. I can't believe I found a workout video I actually like enough to look forward to it.

Caré said...

Hey Karon,

Congratulations on making it through that much of the video. I know how GREAT that feels. As far as the calories go, it would most likely fall under the "walking" category, but I will defer to someone with more expertise. I tend to assume the lowest number of calories burned just to be on the safe side.

Your idea of having lots of different videos to work out to is a great one. I have a library myself and it helps to keep things from getting dull. Plus, if you're having to concentrate on what the instructor is telling you, then you "forget" to look at how much time is left.

With friendship,

Care'

Karon said...

Michelle...I have to say I've met some really great people on this journey (you included!) and have been blessed in getting to know them.

Care'...I made it through even more this morning before I 'pooped out'. Each day I am seeing progress and I'm very happy about it. Now if only the scale were moving, I'd be even happier. One step at a time, though.

Anonymous said...

a new look! It wasn't here this morning! Very snazzy and springtime feeling!

Karon said...

Thanks, Michelle. Purple is my favorite color so I figured I'd give this a try. The print is a little small, though and I don't know how to fix that. I'm hoping maybe Suzi will pop in and have some trick to help.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Imitrex and early pregnancy Bikini body rubs denver Bookkeeping learn

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Home based car inspection business idea Free time share vacation offer Jeep cheerokee parts - 1996 Incorporating language arts in a mathematics curriculum biaxin allergies Graphic web layouts Basic toner cartridge tutorial porsche accessories land rover vermont health insurance Photos of big belly pregnant porn 394 oldsmobile headers live poker Meridia of nissan philippines search engine optimization Panasonic 3.1 mp camcorders with photo shot