I woke up this morning and my first thought as always is ... it's wonderful to be alive! My second was ... did I do any damage on my weight loss journey with what I ate throughout the day yesterday? Since I am one who weighs every day, I figured no other way to check than step on the scale and see. So I did just that!
I had a plan for my eating for yesterday. I stayed true to my program for breakfast, snack, and lunch. For dinner we went to HomeTown Buffet where Ceci's dad works. Here's what I ate ...a large salad with lettuce, cucumber, onion, carrots and low fat ranch dressing; 1/2 cup of corn chowder (decided I'd rather have this soup than mashed potatoes); about 4 ounces of turkey; one cup of green beans; small spoon of stuffing with a tiny bit of gravy on it (already had the gravy on it in the pan or I would not have had gravy); and for dessert I had a one and a half inch square of some kind of sugar-free lime jello/cool whip dessert. Given that there was a LOT of fat laden, high carb, high sugar foods there, I think I did pretty darn well! I was quite proud of myself last night. The question today is am I proud today?
I had been bummed going into this holiday as some of you may remember. I was bummed because I live very near my siblings and not one of them gave my family or I a second thought. I wanted a big family gathering and it looked like it was going to be just Tim and I spending the day together. I'm happy to say that Mandi came home from work and went out to dinner with us. Our oldest daughter joined us at the buffet and picked up Ceci but she visited with us for a while. So ... my family was together for the holiday, just not my whole family. I can live with that!
I didn't get to watch my movie "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". We went to rent it at the video store and it was out. Darn! Tim said we'll buy our own copy on DVD and watch it in the very near future. I was disappointed, but all in all it was a good day!
So ... how did your holiday go? Did you have an eating plan? Did you stick to your plan? Did you wake up, and like me, just have to step on that scale to see if you did any damage? Were you shocked, disappointed, or angry at the number that popped up? Or were you pleased, proud, or happy with the magic number?
I want you to know that whatever the outcome, today is a new day. If you didn't do as well as you'd have liked, leave it behind you, in the past where it belongs. Start today as if it were the first day of your program. Get right back at it and move the numbers on the scale down again. It was one day out of the year. It will only ruin your weight loss journey if you allow it to rule today, tomorrow, and beyond. Thanksgiving is over. Time to knuckle down and keep the scales moving downward in preparation for the challenge of Christmas. Forgive yourself, if you slipped up yesterday. Jump back on the train and continue your journey. No man or woman will be left behind!
You're probably grumbling by now because I've teased you all through this post with how I did yesterday. I know ... I can be irritating sometimes. I like suspense. Let me just say, I was proud of myself yesterday ... and I'm proud of myself today. The scale showed half a pound less today than yesterday. Woo hoo! I had a plan and I stuck to it. My plan paid off. As my friend Paul said in my comments area yesterday ... if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Planning is important ladies and gentlemen. Let's plan to end this year with a bang of success!
Friday, November 25, 2005
Today's a new day
Posted by Karon at 11/25/2005 08:20:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That is so fantastic. It sounds like you've really broken through your 10 pound stall! I know it will workout on weigh in day. I'm glad you got to be with some of your family, that's what the holidays are about.
Valerie...Dare I even hope the ten pound stall is behind me now? I sure do hope so. The scale seems to indicate it but it won't be official until Sunday.
Paul...You're right! Those who mattered the most were there with me and that's what counts. I was pleased with my choices.
"Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" is an old Steve Martin and John Candy movie. Steve Martin's character is a salesman who is just trying to get home for Thanksgiving dinner. John Candy's character is a man who really has nowhere to go and tricks Steve Martin into traveling with him and inviting him to his home for the holiday. It is a funny movie, at least to me and I've not seen it in a while.
I'll head over to your blog to see what you had to say and will look forward to the rest as well. I have to agree that your ideas for today don't seem to be too far off. If you aren't hungry, it's hard to make yourself eat. Great job on the walking. You amaze me with the opportunities you find and make for walking!
Glad to see you stopped by my blog! It's funny that you talk about part of your family living close and not including you - it's the same situation here. Some of my siblings try hard to pretend that the rest of us don't exist, those of us who don't fit their carefully-constructed image! The fat girl kept ruining all their holiday family photos! We only see each other at Christmas, even though most of them live within 10 miles from me, and the only reason for that is that my dad comes up here for Christmas and insists that we all get together. His health is bad this year so I doubt I'll see them, which is fine by me. I can live without their catty comments just fine.
Good for you sticking to your plan! I'm not strong enough yet to hit up the buffets!
Thanks for stopping back, Suzi! Though I've always been the 'fat one' in the family, I don't think that is the reason for the alienation. I am the only one who grew up and moved away. Everyone else remained here, in the area we are now. I think they have a real hard time relating to me on a lot of levels. It doesn't bother me except at holiday time when I long for things to be the way they were when we kids. I don't think I'll ever get used to how things are now.
Post a Comment