Because so many asked questions in my comment area about what happened last night, today's post is answering the questions. Feel free to skip it if you aren't interested. I should be back to my regular posting tomorrow but instead of taking up lots of space in comments, that many probably don't read, I'm going to use today to answer the questions.
Tim does get SSI, yes. We had to fight three years with Social Security to get him declared disabled. Took all of five minutes in the courtroom with the judge and none of us really had to say a thing! Tim sitting there unable to focus or to take his own coat off, having uncontrolled tremors ... all spoke for themselves.
Definitely I am looking into the possibility of a home health nurse coming in a couple times per week should I get a job. Tim also volunteered to go have lunch with my cousin at his restaurant and sit around and shoot the breeze a couple times a week if my cousin would pick him up. I'm pretty sure my cousin would do that. I can also enlist the help of my brother and oldest daughter but both of them work and neither of them has much experience with Tim having these episodes. I'm working on several options. The biggest hurdle, getting Tim to agree he needs help, has been passed.
We typically check Tim's blood sugar 3-4 times per day. 1) before breakfast and he takes his morning insulin shot 2) before lunch and a booster of fast acting insulin if high 3) before dinner and evening insulin dose 4) before bedtime and another booster of fast acting insuin if needed.
Yesterday he ate breakfast (biscuit with gravy bowl including scrambled eggs) and took his morning shot. He got up about 10:30 AM and ate about 11 AM. When I made my lunch at 1 PM, I asked if he wanted me to make him something. He declined saying he still felt really full. I offered to check his blood sugar but he said he was going to lay down for a little bit and we'd check it when he got up.
Oldest daughter came to visit with baby. Tim never did eat and we forgot to check his blood sugar. Daughter left and Tim started to show signs of low blood sugar. And so the saga began. Lesson learned ... make him let me check it no matter what and make him eat.
I cannot really rely on him to check his own blood sugar. His tremors are so bad that he cannot put the strips into the meter. His doctor insists on this meter because he can download the info and make graphs and such. Bah! I also cannot rely on him to eat breakfast or lunch while I'm gone. I know this from past experience. Someone is going to have to come in and check on him if I go to work.
He wants me to work. Or he says he does. We literally have no money and live from one check to the next and Mandi supplements our income when we have a week every month that we might otherwise go without food. I don't think he would do this to keep me from going to work. He hates that he can't work to support us and knows something has to change.
Tim's diabetes is such that his body produces absolutely NO insulin. He has no choice but to take insulin shots. This is also going to be an issue as I won't be here to draw the shots. The insulin has to be gently shaken to mix before being administered. Right now, I do that and draw the insulin. I can pre-draw it and leave it in the syringe, but he's going to have to shake the needle long enough to mix it up. It's not recommended to pre-draw but can be done according to the manufacturer.
He was on all the different pills before going on insulin. He's been insulin dependent for about fifteen years now. No going back, especially with all the major complications he already has as well as the many other medications he takes. And so there you have it.
Now ... I went to the interview and put my best foot forward. It was for a position in a private school as a one-on-one aide. Since I have a degree in special education, this could be a good fit. I was interviewed by three people at the same time. It seemed they were pleased with my answers. It would be Mon-Fri 8-3 and on the local school calendar I would be off for holidays, snow days, etc. Possibility of being off all summer but have other options as they also have a residential program that many work in as well to supplement in the summer. Good benefits and nice starting pay for this area. So now we wait. They said I should hear from them within the next two weeks as they have an orientation class starting in early February. So I wait!
Thanks for the prayers and the feedback. The fear is wearing off but niggles in the event this could happen again. I can only thank the Lord that I was home and our daughter didn't come in and find her dad gone! On I go ...
Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Answers to the questions and the interview
Posted by Karon at 1/18/2006 04:21:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Karon my friend I thought about you all day. Every time I glanced down at my purple NutriTier bracelet I sent you a warm and supportive thought that everything works out!
Paul...Thank you! One thing at a time and I'll not cross bridges before I get to them. I'll definitely let you all know how this ends up.
Michelle...Bless you, my friend! Thanks. It's all going to work out fine in the end. I have the faith and believe that with all my heart.
Wow, thanks for answering all those questions. I was more posing them as things to think about. It's good that he wants you to work and supports your decision. I think you'll be able to make it work if you want to. It seems like you have a lot of people around you willing to help. and the idea of having someone come in to help might just work out for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep you in my prayers.
Karon - forgive me for sounding like a broken record here. My friend's mom was at home on SSI and the state paid for a home health aid for her. She ended up paying her daughter to attend to her. If Tim's doctor documents his need you may be able to have the same support.
I'm excited about your interview! :)
Valerie...Thanks, honey. I'm sure most didn't necessarily expect answers but figured if someone took the time to ask the question, they deserved an answer.
Diane...I thought about that. We've not really discussed with his doctor the need for a home health aid, but we will. Tim has an appointment in February, but I'll make an earlier one if I need to. He hates the thought of a "babysitter" type person but could live with someone coming in, checking his blood sugar, drawing his shot, and making sure he eats. That's what we're going to need when I go to work. Thanks, and I don't think you sound like a broken record at all. You never know if you don't ask, right?!
Where did you find it? Interesting read »
Post a Comment