I watched Dr. Phil today. He had a lady on his show who has lost 162 pounds in three years. She was on his show because she has a major issue with the skin that was left behind. She went so far as to say she is so unhappy she wishes she'd never lost that much weight and has considered gaining some back in order to fill out some. I found that really sad. She hasn't let her husband see her naked. She feels like her skin is like pizza dough hanging on her, all mushy.
I think she made an excellent point, though. She said so many programs show those who've lost a lot of weight and only show the happiness of having the weight gone. They really don't address the negative side of losing weight. Folks, we cannot kid ourselves. There are negative side effects of losing weight. Loose skin is only one of them. I know for me there are going to be other issues that crop up. And one day I'm going to write my story so others will have the whole story. And you all can sit back and say "I knew her when ..." and I'll inspire a few people and make a buck or two.
I will say that I am worried about the skin. But I also plan to lose the weight anyway. I'd much rather have the skin issue than continue to lug around 300+ pounds that I just don't need! I can wear a body shaper (girdle). I can wear nylons. I can wear clothes. As long as I look good in my clothes, I'm going to be okay. One issue at a time and one step at a time ... let's get to goal and then I'll worry about this!
Update on the hunger... I now have an idea of a ratio for carbs/fat/protein. I know that I'm not eating enough protein. I am going to monitor and likely add some extra protein next week. I want to do a baseline to make sure where I am on this before I start changing anything. I do know that I watched the carbs today and wasn't as hungry so maybe that is the answer. Make sure I get more protein calories than carbs and I should be okay.
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
More skin issues & hunger update
Posted by Karon at 1/04/2006 11:16:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I wish I had seen that show. I wonder about the extra skin, too. I'm hoping by doing a lot of exercising I can help to not have it. I've heard of people having plastic surgery and I KNOW that I don't want to go that route. Did the woman on the show exercise while she was losing weight?
Missy
Thanks for the kind comments in my blog, it's great to know there are lots of other people out there. =)
Missy...It was an intersting show. Many do have plastic surgery but you know Dr. Phil was great. And so were the plastic surgeons he had there on the program. They all explained that first of all the surgeries are not without risk. Second, recovery from the sugeries (and there are usually more than one) can be quit painful. Lastly, she is going to have to deal with scars that will never go away and they could just as bad to deal with as far as body image goes as the skin is.
She never said if she exercised or not but it did take her three years to lose the weight so I would venture to say probably not.
Cat...I love getting feedback from others and just naturally give it when I have the opportunity. Thanks for stopping by!
It's true that the media rarely focuses on the negatives of losing weight. I guess the world wants you to think that all your problems are solved if you lose it. I have a small frame so I will probably have skin issues too. I guess my first hurdle to tackle is actually getting it off first.
I'm glad you're figuring out your hunger issues. It might help to re-read your NS Nourish book (I think you said you have it) to refresh your memory on what to be eating at each meal.
A few weeks ago I started researching cosmetic surgery. I'm hoping and praying things shrink up and also looking at what's out there and how much it costs. I don't know if you know this, but there are financing options for cosmetic surgery - one I know of is PFS (Patient Financing System) administered by MBNA America Bank. They say their rates are competitive with credit cards. Anywho, maybe that'll be an option in the future. I suppose if you looked at it that way it'd be like buying a car...lol.
I agree with your perspective - let tomorrow worry about itself. Today, keep loosing.
p.s...Capital One has one for cosmetic surgery also. I'm sure there are others out there.
In a perfect world, we'd have cash :)
aw my friend! You are putting the cart before the horse! First, I am sure your skin will shrink some. You are exercising, and as you lose weight you will be able to exercise even more. It is the muscle you build that will help hold the skin in place. You are losing slowly enough to allow your skin to adjust also. all very important. There is a woman here at my office who had gastic bypass 3 years ago and dropped a lot of weight fast. She has since gained about 1/2 of it back. Today she announced that monday she is going in for a lower body tuck because she says that if she gets rid of the excess skin she won't gain any more weight! I really don't understand that logic.
Karon, just keep on keeping on. I think you should try for the 195 - jsut think how good it will be to see that number on the scale! It also gives you a good 5-lb indicator - like if the scale gets to 200 then back on strick program you go. just my two cents ;)
Valerie...Thanks! I'm going to focus on getting the pounds off and then I'll worry about the skin. Nothing much I can beyond what I'm already doing to minimize things.
Diane...I didn't realize that but maybe one day it will be an option available to me. I'm going to focus on today and quit worrying about it for now.
Michelle...Definitely I need to just focus on losing the pounds. I do realize that I'm doing what I can to minimize the skin and that's all I can do for now.
As far as 195 goes, I agree. That said I really am going to see how I look and feel. The 195 is just a number and I could live with 230 if I look good when I get there. Thanks for chiming in though and I know you're going to be rooting me on!
The cost issue on plastic surgery has little to do with my reluctance. I've had abdominal (or maybe I should call it abominable:) surgery more than once and even though I had wonderful surgeons and medical personnel, I have no desire whatsoever to have anymore of it unless absolutely necessary!
Missy
Post a Comment