CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Background about the job

I've had many ask just what kind of job do I want that I want it so badly. Since it could be on more minds than I'm aware, I figured I'd devote today's entry to info about the job.

This is a group home for developmentally disabled teens. When I worked on this campus before there were four ten bedroom homes. They are two story and beautiful. The homes were built the second year I worked there and each home cost one million dollars to build. All of the bedrooms are on the first floor with a huge open area and five bathrooms as well as the staff office and four huge walk-in storage closets where we kept things like extra shampoo, toothpaste, clothing, sandals, towels, etc. Each youth was issued her own set when she arrived, but we'd have to replinish it. Part of my job was shopping for all of that stuff. I LOVED that job!

The downstairs had a laundry room with four washers and four dryers, three ironing boards, and a sink. There was the kitchen with two industrial stoves, two fridges, and two dishwashers as well as two sinks and lots of counter space and a huge walk-in pantry. It was also part of my job to plan the meals, shop for the week spending $400 week on groceries, and then many times cook the meals as well. (The girls who lived in the home did have chores and helped with shopping, cooking, and did all the clean-up.) The point of the program was to teach them appropriate social skills as well as how to live on their own.

Also downstairs was the huge dining room table that would seat up to 24 (ten youth, at least three staff plus the manager and assistant manager which was my job) and a few guests. There was the "family room" with a couple couches and chairs (enough space to seat about fifteen and also a computer desk and another small table for doing homework at. Then there was the formal living room which had two sofas, two loveseats, and two chairs. This was used for family visits, psychiatrist visits, and group therapy. A bathroom, reserved for staff only and the manager office with another huge closet for storage! Oh, we also have the furnace room which was huge and used for storage and an exercise area as well. I don't know if they still have only four homes or have more. When I was there, the admin building was in a portable trailer but I know they now have a real admin building. All of the homes surrounded a lake and had huge decks off the back at the upper level and a nice patio off the family room downstairs. Each home also had an elevator to make them handicapped accessible.

As you can tell, I loved that place and the job. It was challenging and ever changing. We had girls coming and going. Some would run away, back to the city (Chicago). Many were gang members and we would break up at least one fight a day. I LOVED it all! Gosh, sorry for the ramble. LOL

This is a private not for profit organization.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karon- That sounds like an awesome place to work! I too have worked with developmentally disabled individuals and I loved it! I worked for several different agencies doing several different types of things. I worked at a group home for awhile doing some of the very things you talked about. My favorite job, however, was working for a day program. I got to take folks out into the community for recreation, work, etc...and it was a blast! When I got promoted to manager and had to do more office work and supervise staff, I hated it! I wanted to be back out with the people we served. Anyway, I'll keep you in my throughts and prayers that you get this job!
Nan :-)

Jamie said...

Hi Karon....boy I sure hope it all works out for you. To work some place that you love is an enoromous reward. Ya gotta work anyhow...might as well LOVE it.

The only downfall that I can see with this, is my own experience. My hubby LOVES his job. Therefore, the time off or coming home early....rarely happens. He usually stays over. Although, since he is the one to work I am very, very grateful he loves what he does.

I wish the same happiness for you. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read neurontin bipolar stop smoking in 1 day vacation when quit smoking myth that get sick Fast loss teen weight trauth dairy fax number penis pills best results hypnosis stop smoking stop smoking hy risks from quitting smoking eyeglasses Davis video projector To pay att phone bill The olympian spyware adware quitting smoking stop smoking patches Find buy tamiflu ebay haw to stop smoking quit smoking withdrawls Stainless steel convection microwave ovens affiliate marketing promotion business online internet

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. To do list for pda Giselle cosmetics Vicodin to but on line saab of greenwich pay bill spy digital camera Cooking school makati Cash+fast+loan+payday Baby bingo free online Refinance refinancing california refinance california home dental product Free sample of cialis