CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Another Busy Day

Today has been a busy day. We left the house about 11:00 this morning and didn't return until about 5:30 this evening. First we went to the post office to mail our last Christmas card. It's to Mandi's first grade teacher. We've kept in touch over the years and I sent her a copy of one of Mandi's senior pictures. She was a huge influence in Mandi's life back then and I thought she'd like to see her all grown up and ready to spread her wings in the big bad world come June.

After that, we made a trip to the bank and then the video store to return a couple movies and a video game for Mandi's boyfriend. That done, we figured it was lunch time. Tim wanted to go to his favorite hotdog stand for a couple cheese dogs and some french fries. I can't eat anything there, but they've been great about me carrying in something from other places. I stopped across the street and got a Taco Supremo Salad from Wendy's.

When lunch was over, we headed off to Wal-Mart to have my eyes checked. I've had problems seeing things up close like for reading and working on Ceci's embroidered blanket. Figured it's been about four years since I got new glasses and two since my last exam so off we went. Sure enough, I need new glasses and bi-focals. UGH! I ended up getting the no-line bifocals and they'll be in early in the new year. Oh goody!

It was quite a bit of walking while at Wal-Mart. Parking was a nightmare but I managed to find a spot about mid-way of the lot. I hate the crowds and the traffic that goes with crowds. As I was finishing up my eye stuff I remembered Tim had a doctor appointment scheduled for the neurologist today. His tremors have gotten worse and Tim wanted them checked out. So we rushed to get to the doctor's office.

Parking there was almost as bad as at Wal-Mart. Finally got a spot and head in. By now I had to go to the bathroom so they let me in to go. On the way back, the receptionist started asking me about Tim's insurance. It is not the same as when he was to this neurologist back a couple years ago. Lo and behold, they don't accept his insurance. That ticked me off. Tim's regular doctor office should have known this. They scheduled the darn referral appointment! Back to the drawing board.

Off to Tim's regular doctor we go. This matter needed to be taken care of and Tim's doctor always gives him samples of two of his nine medications. Tim ran out of them and one is his "meanness pill" as Mandi and I call it so he HAD to have it! Ends up, he doesn't need a referral to see a neurologist and was told basically to call around and find out who takes his insurance and deal with it ourselves. OOOOOOOOOOOO!

Back to Wal-Mart we went because we were in a rush to get to the doctor office so we didn't do the rest of what we needed to do at Wal-Mart. Mandi got a gift card from her grandpa on Sunday and needed socks. Mandi was caught shoplifting there back in February and is not allowed back in the store (or any Wal-Mart for that matter) ever. So, we went back, dealt with the horrid parking once again and found her socks. That pretty much wrapped up the day.

By now it was near dinnertime and Tim wanted to go to my cousin's restaurant for dinner. We figured since we were in town, we'd go about a half hour earlier than usual. I had a grilled chicken breast topped with mushrooms cooked in very little oil and a cup of cream of cauliflower soup. The mushrooms were in place of the potato and we turned down the fresh bread.

All in all a full day. Got quite a few steps on my pedometer and I'm happy about that. Not quite as many as yesterday but I did okay.

Tim seemed to be feeling okay today. He didn't complain and he ate pretty well. He also did no throwing up today so I will wait on the visit to the ER. He said he still doesn't feel good though and his blood glucose is up a bit. I'm keeping an eye on it. I'll continue to update as we near the holiday and the new year.

9 comments:

Shelley said...

HI Karon busy getting that walking in!!! I was out doing the same type things today and once again left the pedometer on the table
:( ahh well I have been also very busy . Then going to the stores with all these people and driving omg I can't seem to get home fast eough to crazy for me any how it sounds like you had a great day!!!

Karon said...

Hi, Rachelle! Thanks for popping in. The day was indeed a good one. I hear ya with the driving. I was very glad to get back home this evening!

heavenlydm said...

Karon - you're still foxy in those bi-foculs. The way they make them today you can't even tell they are. Looks like things are evening out. Have a great Christmas!

Diane

Karon said...

Thanks, Diane! I was given the option of lined or no line and I went with the no line. My hubby said the line just about drove him crazy before they came out with the no line ones. I just hate admitting I'm getting old enough to need bifocals. Merry Christmas to you, too!

Valerie said...

Karon, honey, bifocals don't mean you're old. They wanted me in them when I was 16, but they gave me awful headaches and they decided to let me just wear distance ones. The problem is I have trouble changing focus from far away to up close, so sometimes I still have to take some time to adjust.

I hope Tim is doing better. High blood glucose is almost always a signal there is something going on in there. My fathers was only 330 while staph was eating his heart away, so if it's unusual, even a call to the doc may be in order.

It always makes me so happy to see all your good food choices and how much more mobility you have, even more than it was when I was first getting to know you in July, and that was already an improvement from where you were when you started. You should be so proud of how far you've come.

Lisa said...

Hi Karon,
Sorry I've not been here, but you know how it is this time of year and how busy things can be. It sounds like you've really been doing well with the walking lately. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hey you, just a quick Merry Christmas note.

Oh yeah, it was a little over a year ago that I was informed, I needed bifocals and my reaction was pretty much exactly the same.

I opted for no line lenses also, and on the whole things have been smooth for me. Though admittedly, I am not sure they have done me any good whatsoever ;)

Enjoy your holidays, and I am sure we will catch up more in the coming year.

A Wonderful Guy.

Karon said...

Valerie...Maybe it's my birthday looming that is also making me feel old. I will admit that I don't think 44 is old, though.

Tim does seem to be improving. The thing with his glucose is that his body accepts the extremes. The highs and lows that would send most people into a coma do not seem to affect him. It hasn't been overly high and we've been able to track what he ate to know if it was affected by that. The simple truth is he caught a cold a week or so ago and hasn't felt good since. When his body is stressed with sickness, his sugars tend to run high. I promise I'm staying on top of it. I'm not ready to be without him yet, no matter how loudly I rant!

I am proud of how far I've come. And it is fueling my determination to continue onward. I know in my heart that I can do this!

Lisa...Thanks for stopping by. I check your blog frequently and know how busy you've been.

Mr. Wonderful...What a nice surprise to have you stop by this morning. Thanks for the smile as I saw who was posting. I also don't expect that you'll even read this reply but figured I would post it just in case.

I'll let you know how it all turns out. The optometrist told me I could opt to just get regular glasses but could benefit from bifocals. I figured since I haven't been able to work on Ceci's blanket and she'll be a year old soon I'd give them a shot.

We will definitely catch up more in the new year!

Paul...Thanks, I think! Yes, they are called progressive lenses. I'm just looking forward to being able to see clearly once again. Things have been a little blurred for a while. Initially I thought it was the medications but the testing yesterday proved my vision has indeed worsened over the last couple years.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »