I think after just one day of analyzing my caloric intake, I've stumbled upon the cause for my not shedding pounds the last few weeks. If today is any indication as to how I've been eating, it's a sheer miracle that I haven't been gaining weight! I've been eating way too many calories every day. I have to nip that right now!
Had a doctor appointment today that went pretty well. He noticed my chart showed a loss of pounds since my last visit. He said, "I see you lost a few pounds. Keep that up." I honestly wanted to just kick him really hard! Of course, he has no way of confirming that I've lost 100 pounds over the course of the last ten months; only my word. And he doesn't have a scale that will weigh me. I have to get down to 350 before that's going to happen. Maybe by mid-summer I'll be there.
Anyway, we discussed my depression and he offered to put me on medication. I'm not thrilled about that. He also said it could be because my thyroid is still way out of whack. Well damn it, whack it back into where it needs to be, already! He did have the nurse draw blood for a TSH (thyroid function test). Also doing a BMP (basic metabolic panel). Asked the nurse and she said something about checking my electrolytes. Huh? What are they looking for? It was the first I heard anything about electrolytes being off. So I check back in about two weeks and see if there's an adjustment in meds to be done.
I was in an exceptionally good mood today. I don't know why but I just felt good! Tim even commented on it. And I was moving pretty well; up and down a lot while Ceci was here. That little gal will make sure that I get my steps in every day for the NS100 pedometer challenge for sure!
I think setting the goals I set yesterday is going to pay off for me. I did get all my water in today. I have almost all the steps needed to meet my pedometer goal. Now just rein in the calories and get moving a bit more and I'll be okay. Hopefully, there will be a pay-off on the scale this week.
Monday, December 05, 2005
Doctor Appointment Today
Posted by Karon at 12/05/2005 08:48:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Isn't it a relief to know why the scale hasn't been moving??? I found out I was doing too many a few weeks ago and have been able to get back on track as well.
I want to kick your doc in the butt! I suppose that wouldn't be appropriate though...lol.
Keep up the good work :)
I'm glad he noticed the weight loss even if he can't quantify it. It's also wonderful that you nipped your calorie problem in the bud before it got worse, and that you were in a good mood. Thyroid and depression often go hand in hand. Depression is often a chemical problem in the brain and it's not wrong to take meds to fix it if you need to. I would ask a lot of questions though, some can help with weight loss, but some can hinder it and you don't want to go there for sure!
Diane...Relief isn't exactly the word that I would use to describe how figuring out I'm taking in too many calories per day made me feel. Aggravated with myself was more like it. But ... it is a relief to know that it was something I was doing (doing it wrong but something I was doing) and that I have the power to correct it. Thanks for stopping by. I'm back on track for sure today!
Valerie...I have definitely nipped that too many calorie problem in the bud. What in the world I was thinking I don't know but now I do I've been diligent. I'm loving fitday.com to put my info into.
As for the depression meds ... I'll take them if I need them. I do understand about the chemicals in the brain, to a point. Tim takes a depression med. The doctor did say he knows which one he'd try me on and it would not hamper my weight loss at all. I do know that Prozac is not for me nor is Effexor. Prozac scares me and Effexor makes me mean. Tried that one a long time ago. Tim says I'm mean enough without taking a med to make me meaner. What does he mean by that, I wonder. ::shrugs mischieviously::
Gosh, that man is taking his life in his hands! Telling someone they're mean is very likely to make them meaner. Sounds like bravery or stupidity to me. You'd know which one better than me ;-)
Post a Comment