My mom passed away twelve years ago today. She had been suffering for about four months and was ready to go. Today, instead of being sad, I'm going to celebrate her life and honor her. She raised four pretty wonderful kids pretty much on her own. She was a wonderful mother and my best friend. Her passing has been the most difficult thing in my life to deal with as it left a huge gaping hole that still has not been filled. She was always there for me, lifting me up when I was down; laughing with me, crying with me, encouraging, and supporting me even when she disagreed with me. She helpd to mold me into the person I am today and for that I am eternally grateful. So today, instead of mourning that she's no longer here with me, I am going to honor her by remembering the wonderful times we shared. I'm going to remember her smile and the love she had for me. I'm going to remember how much sacrificed that I might live a better life. I'm going to cherish every moment spent with her. God bless you, Mom. You're missed but NOT forgotten!
Now ... in a group I belong to, we've been talking about our physical appearances and body distortion. In an effort to see the positive, someone asked us to post one physical characteristic we like about ourselves and why. She also asked us to post five non-physical characteristics we like about ourselves and why. The following was my reply to that request.
My favorite physical characteristic about myself is my fingernails. I know you're laughing, but it's true. I have nice natural nails that, when painted with clear nail polish, look like I've had a French manicure. I've gotten comments on them and people think they're fake, but they're mine. I keep them neatly trimmed and shaped (especially important for all the time I'm tapping on my keyboard).
Five non-physical characteristics that I like about myself and why ...
1. I am who I am. I never pretend to be someone I'm not. When people meet me, they are meeting the genuine me. I figure people will either like me or not and that's okay with me.
2. I care about others and treat them as I would want to be treated. I'm quite proud of this. So many go out of their way to hurt other people and it's not necessary. We all know we're far more critical of ourselves than anyone else ever can be. Treat others the way you'd want to be treated or the way you'd want your family to be treated and the world will be a better place.
3. I am a loyal friend who can be trusted. I treasure my friendships with others.
4. I am a good listener who uses active listening skills so I know I'm getting the whole story. I can give opinions and advice and not have my feelings hurt if others don't listen to what I have to say. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong. Either way, I do the best I can do in any given situation to help others.
5. I know who I am and where I'm going. I know that I am going to reach my goal one day. I realize it's not ever going to be as quickly as I want, but I can live with that because every day I'm working on it. I'm not going to give up. I'm determined to succeed with this weight loss and be in total control of my life. I'm proud of my accomplishments and have no problem sharing them with others. If I don't tell my story, someone else may not know that they can be successful, too. Every day I'm happy to wake up, breathing and healthy enough to live another day. I'm thankful for the little bit I have and know that it's enough. I may not have everything I want, but I do have everything I need. I have my faith and it never wavers though I may slip toward doubt a little bit from time to time as everyone does. I come back with renewed faith every time, though.
Saturday, March 18, 2006
A celebration and a bit about me
Posted by Karon at 3/18/2006 08:50:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Hi Karon! I can't beleive I have never seen your blog! You know me and time, but today somehow I was browsing and looking at favorites and there you are! Thank you for posting about your mom. May 2nd would be 20 years mine passed away to see the Lord. Any way just wanted to say hi and tell you to keep it up my friend you are continously doing great!
Consuelo
I really think that what you are saying is what life is all about.
I especially like the #5 and would like to know if I can print it and take it to work to use in one of my groups on knowing what emotional health looks like.
Some of the folks I work with have no idea what emotional health is.
I would, of course, credit you.
I know your Mother is very proud of you today and every day! You are becoming so healthy in mind and soul and body! I count on your posts on my blog even though I often do not reply to them. Every time you post I receive an e-mail with your post in it and I smile and know that you are thinking of me and caring! Your positive perceptions of yourself are quite motivational not only to you, but to everyone who reads them. I hope your siblings are handling today as well as you are. My prayers are with you and your family - especially today!
I would like to honor you and your mother by sharing with you a poem I wrote to my mom when I was 16. It sounds like it would apply to your mother as well!
To My Mother
I sit on the warm concrete of the driveway with the sun shining on my back,
I stand in the dewy grass with stormclouds circling overhead,
I stare through misted windows at the stars that pierce the curtain of the night,
And I contemplate the magnificence of God!
For He in his infinite wisdom gave me to you,
And in so doing gave me the greater gift,
For I have you for my mother!
Thank you, God! I love you mother!"
Missy
Consuelo...Thanks, honey. I've been missing you a lot! Since I don't read or post at the NS100 group anymore, we've kind of lost touch. Hope all is well with you.
Janet...You have my permission to copy and use anything you feel will help someone else. Thanks for the compliment, sweetie.
Missy...Thanks so much! Thanks for sharing the poem to your mother. It's beautiful. And what a great tribute. It would definitely apply to my own mom today and everyday. I was indeed blessed to have been born to her. Even though we knew many hardships as children, they have prepared me for who I am today and though I long for a better shell, I don't honestly think I'd want to be anyone else!
I think you are very aware of the person you are, and that's not something everyone can say. You definitely hit the nail on the head because the way you described yourself is certainly the way I have seen you in the time we've been communicating. I'm sorry about your mom, but it's wonderful that you can remember her in such a positive way.
What a great site delta faucet company What are the milligram does ultram have Accessory paintball sniper Who hit the most homeruns in baseball history Search engine positioning aktau Ambien no perscription leopard carpet or area rugs Barcode rf scanner system confiquration Level routing cisco routers Vancouver apartments rental http://www.bra-training-for-men.info/dolavstoragetotes.html Bronze bar sink faucet Plan drug medicare prescription Native status tax exempt canada Xl dress maternity shirt Play sonic and knuckles arcade games Withdrawal vicodin sign Vacuum cleaners find compare read reviews Zithromax delivered next day
Post a Comment