CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 06, 2006

What is Success?

The Daily Dose at Nutrisystem today was about success and had some good questions in it. It got me to thinking about what I define as success.

Success as defined by dictionary.com is "the achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted". I think all of the things NS listed as definitions of a successful weight loss program were correct. Many of us do define out success in terms of pounds lost, inches lost, clothes fitting and smaller sizes. It's about so much more than just the numbers, but we all focus on the numbers.

NS also listed definitions of success as controlling cravings, maintaining control under peer pressure, figuring out what full really is, changing bad eating habits to healthy ones, gaining confidence and self-esteem, and the 'after' pictures at the end of the journey. Those are also good indicators of success but what is success to me?

"At what point will you feel you have succeeded in your battle against your weight?" For me, success will be finally feeling comfortable in the shell that is known as my body. It will be being able to move where I want to move when I want to move and knowing I no longer have to worry about my body fitting into a tight space. Success will be knowing I'm in control and can choose to have that cheesecake after lunch because I can control how much of it I eat. Success will be wearing clothes that fit and make me feel good about who I am. But you know what? I'm already a success. I have already lost 120 pounds and I know I will continue to lose until I get to where I want to be. Every time the scale shows I lost another pound, I am a success. Remember the definition in the beginning of this post? Success is the achievement of something desired (boy do I desire to lose weight), planned (I definitely plan to lose this weight with every single morsel I put into my mouth and every glass of water I drink and every step I take), or attempted (I attempt to lose weight on a weekly basis). Every time the number on the scale goes down, I am successful because I have achieved what I set out to do.

"What moment will define victory for you?" I actually feel that every time the scale goes down, I am victorious. Complete victory will be the moment I am finally okay with the number on the scale, coupled with how clothes are fitting, coupled with how I feel physically and mentally. I'm sure that emotionally, it's going to take longer to catch up and I realize that.

"What will you feel like at that time?" I will fell like I have accomplished what I set out to do. I set out on this journey over a year ago with the intent to lose 325 pounds. When I finish, I will know where I started and where I ended and I'll be content with that knowledge.

I am successful EVERY day that I eat the right foods, drink the water, and move my body. I am successful because I believe in myself and know that I can do this and I also believe and know each of my readers are successful as well.

Enjoy your Monday, everyone!

9 comments:

Bear said...

Wow! Great post! I couldn't agree more! If I waited till I had lost all I want to lose to consider myself successful I don't believe I could do this. I have the same feeling you do, I am successful almost every day of this journey.

Valerie said...

You are definitely successful already. Don't ever forget that you've come so far. Not just in numbers, you mention several times about losing 120 lbs, but also in movement. You get around so much more. I'm glad to be your friend as I watch you continue to be successful on your journey.

Jamie said...

Once again...I am totally inspired by you. Thanks for sharing your feelings and determination!!!! I'm gonna take a little bit of that determination and put it in my pocket!! I bet Sundays weigh in is going to be great!!

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you! You are such a success and an inspiration to me. If I had half the spirit you do I would be at goal by now. Keep up the good work, and I am looking forward to going along with you on this weight loss journey,
Barbara

Karon said...

Barry...Thank you! I feel we just don't give ourselves enough credit and wanted to share my thoughts on success. Glad you enjoyed it!

Cindy...Thanks for the encouragement. It's good to hear that there's hope for getting those six pounds back off as quickly as they came on.

Valerie...You're right! I have a tendency to focus on the numbers sometimes instead of all that I've accomplished along with the pounds gone. I'm going to try to remember those things more often. Thanks!

Jamie...It's okay to put some of my determination in your pocket to use later, but you also have to generate some of your own. I know you've got it in you to do just that!

Barbara...Thanks for the motivating comments. I'm happy to know I am inspiring others to strive for their own success. Everyone deserves to be successful in all aspects of life. I'm happy to have you along on my journey. It's so much nicer to not be walking alone!

Anonymous said...

Hey there, one comment of yours really caught my attention; that would be the one where you opine that it seems we all focus on the numbers when defining success.

The numbers are easy to "grab". It is simple to see that 399 is less than 400. Size 6 is smaller than size 8, etc.

The other stuff comprises the things that really needs to be worked on to succeed with weight loss, but it is difficult to quantify, so we glom onto the numbers.

Just thought I would share my view on that.

Oh yeah, one other thing, do keep up the good work. It wears well on you. ;)

Caré said...

ROCK ON!

Care'

Bob said...

What an excellent, excellent post. You are such an inspiration to me and to so many of us. Thank you for writing this. It was perfect. Just perfect.

Karon said...

Mr. Wonderful...Thanks for sharing that with me. You're right, as always. I just get so darn aggravated that the numbers seem to be the only measure for many. Good to 'see' you've been by and always great to hear from you!

Care'...Thanks!

Bob...Wow! I would never have guessed that I inspire you as you are one of my inspirations and motivators. I read your blog all the time, but remain silent much of the time. Thanks!