CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Doctor Appointment Today

My doctor appointment went well. He was happy with my weight loss since my last visit in December (25 lbs) and said to keep doing what I'm doing because it's working. He is increasing my blood pressure medication as my blood pressure has not changed since starting the medication I'm on. I did tell him I've been under considerable stress lately but he wanted to increase it and see what happens. He also did a blood draw for a TSH level to check my thryroid function and I suspect that will be increased as well. I have to wait for a call on that one.

I asked about the lymph-edema on my leg. I wanted to know if it's ever going to go down significantly. He said that it probably will not. He says losing weight and increasing my exercise will help (and I believe that it is) but it is not going to make it go away. He did say surgery could be an option, eventually, however he said since that is not his specialty he was not comfortable discussing it with me. He said I may eventually want to seek a specialist but had no leads on anyone locally so I'll wait a while on it.

Discussed mood swings and night sweats which he confirmed is peri-menopause. Said to let him know if they get really bothersome and he'll work it out with me. Right now it's more of an inconvenience than anything so I'm opting to take no meds (hormones) right now for that.

Now I wait to hear about the thyroid and whether or not that med is to be changed. All in all, a good appointment in my opinion.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Mostly good news, or at least no surprises here. That's a relief I think. You never know what a doctor's going to say in my opinion, sounds like this one's a keeper - he's being honest about his limitations and knowledge at least.

Have a nice weekend if I don't check in again until then.

Anonymous said...

Karon I wish I could be just 1/4 as upbeat as you are. You truly are an amazing person. How on earth can you do it. I have been blessed so far with no major medical problems. I read your posts and am blown away. If there is any kind of advice you can give to stay upbeat please let me know.
David. I know I keep in touch everyday on the "thread", but if out of the blue you think of an idea please write me at dlecasper2004@yahoo.com Thanks and take care . David

Karon said...

Paul...I really like this doctor and I respected him for saying the lymph-edema is not his field. He also doesn't make me feel like I'm just a fat lady he has to see and that I'm not important. He listens to me and addresses issues I bring up. I hope if I get that job, he takes that insurance. I'm pretty sure he does since he is an admitting physician there. Anyway, thanks!

David...Gosh, I don't know what to say. I am who I am, I guess. I just figured a long time ago I can go through life being miserable and looking at the glass half empty, or I can strive for happiness and see the glass as half full. There's always hope and I have to hold onto that. I have the love of so many and the support of more than I probably know. I know this blog registers a LOT more visitors than comments! I'll email you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Karon:

I've enjoyed reading your website and keeping up on your journey back to you. My wife told me about your site after she discovered it -- somewhere? Anyway, even though I am not a woman I thought I'd suggest something to you: progesterone cream for peri-menopausal symptoms. Although she was a young woman, due to PCOS my dear wife suffered for years and years with early menopause symptoms. She broke down when the doctors told her that she would just have to live with the symptoms. Finally, she found someone who could help her, who told her about progesterone cream. Of course, you'll need to discuss it with your doctor and research it for yourself. But it helped her so much I thought I'd pass it along. Here are some links to start your research:

Dr. John Lee (the doctor who discovered how most women in the US are progesterone deficient)
Vickie Queen (the lady who really helped my wife -- it helped her so much she has made it her cause)

Anyway, keep up the good work!