CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Quick Somebody Pinch Me!

So I went today and checked into what I have to do to get my teaching certificate back. Turns out it really is quite simple. I am going to go tomorrow and pay $50 for a substitute teacher certificate. That certificate will be good for up to four years. Then in the fall, I'm going to take two classes at the local community college in the field of education. I need just five semester hours to update my teaching certificate. That's it! Five little hours of college credit. I already have the classes picked out and will check with the office tomorrow to see if they will be acceptable. I'm sure they will. Once I've completed the classes, I pay an additional $99 to register my certificate and I'm qualified to teach anywhere in the state of Illinois. I can't believe it's this simple and I could have done this a very long time ago.

I plan to start substitute teaching as soon as they can put me on the list. Thankfully, I have a dear friend named Mary (who I don't think reads here) that sent me some dresses she is too small for that actually fit me right now. Woo hoo! I'm all set and ready to go on this. I'll substitute until summer and then again starting in the fall. I was told at the office today that I will likely be able to work every day if I want but will not be required to. My classes will be on Tuesday evening from 4:30-9:00, taught by the same instructor in rooms right next to each other. I figure maybe I'll not teach on Tuesdays, unless it's close to the college campus so I don't have to worry about getting there on time.

I'm really very excited about this. Tim and I have talked. I still have many concerns about going to work and leaving him home but I'll check into having someone check in on him mid-day to be sure he's eaten lunch and taken a shot. I believe he'll be okay but want a safety net in place. I may even talk to his doctor about it in case we need documentation for insurance payments.

I'm also scared about this. What makes me think after twenty years I can teach again? What makes me think I'll remember all I learned all those years ago? What makes me think a school will even want to hire me? I'm not going to obsess over it, but I do have those thoughts swirling in my head with the excitement.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karon!

I'm so glad to hear that you're finding the process to get yourself teaching again a lot easier than you thought. I know you'll be fine, that all that you learned will come back to you once you get started. It's great that there is that much substitute work available! You'll be fine!!! Congrats on being able to fit into those dresses too....wooooohooooo!

Ann

heavenlydm said...

Wow! This is great news and I'm very happy for you. I'm sure you'll be great again...like a fine wine :) Who'd have thought this is the way God would have worked out the situation. He's the greatest!

Karon, your progress is helping me refocus. I'm so greatful to have you around.

Karon said...

Ann...I sure hope it all comes back to me. The good news is being a sub means I won't have to write lesson plans. I just have to follow them. I'm not sure which is worse! LOL

Diane...Thank you! And the Lord certainly does work in mysterious ways. I am so thankful to have finally figured it out.

I'm honored to be able to help you refocus. I wouldn't have thought you needed my help for that but I'm proud to be of assistance. My mom always told me I was "good for something". :D

Jeanne...It's kind of funny. From the time I was a little girl, all I ever wanted to be was a teacher. I went into Special Ed and it wasn't what I thought it would be. This time around, I'm going to do what my heart tells me to do. I'm pretty sure this is the right thing for me. Thanks for your support.

Valerie said...

I'm so glad that this is going to work out for you. I'm excited for you. Special ed is something I might be interested in, but I know it's not for everyone. I guess I feel like I should give something back after all that has gone on with my own child. My sister got hired full time and had the choice of her own classroom and subbing and she chose to sub. You may find you really like it.

Jamie said...

Hi Karon.....I am very happy to hear that this can work out for you somewhat easily!! I know you will be a great teacher again! You have taught me so much just by my reading your thoughts!!! Your a wonderful, thoughtful person.

And you just wait and see.....it will be just like you never left it!!

Bear said...

First, I am so sorry I missed the big event! congrats! on breaking 400! I know how hard these milestones are!

As for the teaching, of course you can do it... you've lost over 130 lbs and you doubt your ability to do something that you put your mind too? Go, have fun Karon, and teach!

Karon said...

Valerie...Thanks. Special ed is definitely a challenging field. I remember the last job I had twenty years ago. It was ten deaf and blind severely retarded teens ages 13-21. I certainly wasn't prepared for that when I was but two years out of college! I do look forward to getting back in the classroom, though.

Jamie...I was shocked at how simple it will be to regain my teaching status. Thanks for the encouragement.

Barry...Thanks for the congrats. It definitely was a milestone achieved and I'm proud to have made it. As for the teaching, I'm thinking it's what I have always wanted to do so why not make use of that degree I worked so hard for and spent so much money getting?!

Anonymous said...

IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR WEIGHT LOSS, YOU REALLY INSPIRE ME EVERYDAY TO KEEP TRYING. HOPE THE WHOLE JOB THING WORKS OUT. TRACY

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »

Anonymous said...

What a great site free interactive financial accounting download Hesitation under load 3000gt mitsubishi engines fax form template Mexicana + airlines John cusack baseball http://www.aggrastat-zocor.info/Accounting.html Food raw rosacea Afree spam popup blocker mature blondes tgp Sample resumes for bookkeeping jobes Depression zoloft answer these 4 question depakote and ambien interaction Topamax weight loss new awning companys Betterment accounting Cash crop slot machine downloads basics of culinary accounting practices