CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Huge NSV for me today!

Oh man! I am in pain here. First off, I have this pain in my left lower back. At first I thought it was a pulled muscle from lifting Ceci yesterday. She weighs about 25 lbs now and that's a lot for me to be lifting, I guess. But nothing helps the pain. I tried backache meds, tylenol, heat, ice ... nothing even touches it so now I'm wondering if I might have a kidney infection. Never had one, so don't know how that would feel but there's always the first time. If I'm still hurting like this on Monday, I'll call the doctor and have him check things out.

Next, Tim and I did major grocery shopping today. First stop was Aldi (kind of a discount food store). They do not have anything but regular carts so it was up to me to walk through that store. Keep in mind my back was already bothering me. As we got in the checkout line, I really had to pee. Finally, I left Tim and found the potty, but hardly went. (Another indication of a kidney infection, perhaps?)

We left there and headed to Wal-mart and though I'd resolved last week to not use the electric carts there anymore, I was ready to sit down and shop. Much to my chagrin, a lady about my size beat me to the last motorized cart. What to do? I could ask Tim to walk to the other end of the store (or do it myself) to see if there were any there or I could just walk in Wal-mart. I sat down on a bench to contemplate the situation.

I asked Tim if he thought I'd be able to make it through the store. Naturally, he said yes. So off we went. By the time we got to the back of the store (I always start at the back and work my way to the front) my knees were killing me and starting to lock up. I muttered to myself about how it wasn't bad enough I have back pain but now my knees are hurting and locking. I told myself I had not choice but to walk. And walk I did.

A little more than half way through, I found a bench to sit down for about five minutes. When I went to get up I didn't think I'd be able to stand, but stand I did and off I went. Total time spent walking pushing the grocery cart was 90 minutes. No wonder I am hurting! I also logged almost 4000 steps during that little adventure. Woo hoo for me!

I told Tim this. "Now that I know I can do it, I really have no excuse not to do it next time. No more electric carts for me." And you know what, I mean it. Yes, I'm in a lot of pain right now. My knees are aching, my feet burn but are feeling some better, my hips ache, and my back hurts all the way across, but dang I'm so proud of me! What a great day I had today.

4 comments:

Nan said...

WooHoo! That is awesome! I hope you aren't too sore tomorrow, but it'll be a good kind of sore if you are, a reminder that you can push your body to do more and more as time goes on. I'm so proud of you Karon, you are doing fantastic!

I'm finding it amazing the increases in physical fitness I'm seeing in myself in such a short amount of time. Who knew I could increase my strength and endurance this fast? And why didn't I do it years ago?

Shirley said...

WOW!! Your endurance is increasing at an astronomical rate! Hope the pain goes away quickly.

Jamie said...

Yay! Yay! Yay for you!!! That is wonderful. It is so hard to push through the pain, but you did it!! Not talked about, thought about it, but did it!!!! How awesome. I hope your back pain eases up soon. I'll be thinking of you today when I'm at the tough part of my bike exercise and I just want to give up.

Karon said...

Nan...I'm a little tender in the knees but otherwise feel pretty good (but for the back pain). It is amazing how well our bodies respond to eating healthy and moving it around a bit.

Suzi...I was totally amazed that I did as well as I did. Tim was very patient with me when I needed to sit down. I'm lucky to have someone who insists they shop with me and is patient with me.

Jamie...I hope you enjoyed your bike exercise today. If nothing else, I hope I inspired you to push on and finish it.

Vicki...Thanks so much! I'd love to have you here to cheer me on. You've been conquering your own battles lately and I'm proud of you. I promise, if my back still hurts come morning, I'll get to the doctor.